By Tiffany Pelt - email
LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) – The Lubbock Fire Marshal's office is investigating a fire that destroyed an abandoned home late Friday night. Neighbors called the fire department to report the 1,000 square foot home at 622 29th Street was fully engulfed in flames and power lines were sparking on the ground.
"Power lines were arching in the back you could see them from here," said neighbor Ronnie Daughtry from the across the street. "Real high flashes and pops."
Around 11 p.m. Ronnie looked out his window and discovered the fire. "I called the fire department but somebody else had already called them. Flames were coming out of the west side real high, about 40 feet in the air," he said.
Gusts of wind mixed with dry grass made a dangerous combination, melting the wires to the power lines and scaring neighbors.
"LP&L came out and turned them off. It was just very scary. I walked around my house to make sure, because it's dead grass over here, just making sure it didn't come across," said Ronnie.
Five units rushed to the burning home, but Ronnie said within half an hour the home was a total loss.
The fire marshal's office ruled out electrical problems, but said it could have been caused by a homeless person starting a fire for cooking or warmth.
"Yes, I've seen homeless over there. The door was open over there so they were going in and out. It was an accident probably, that's what I'm thinking, but you never know," said Ronnie.
While the house was destroyed, fire fighters are thankful no one was hurt in the fire.
Copyright 2011 KCBD. All rights reserved.