LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) We begin this weeks Food for Thought where legends, great food and perfect scores are made. Legends of China at 6302 Frankford is now a four-time top performer.
It's a first time at the top for our next stop. Freebirds World Burrito at 1201 University rolls through their health inspection.
Next, we head south across the boarder where it's fresh today and everyday. Casa Ole' at 4413 S. Loop 289 is a repeat top performer.
As is the concession inside Target at 7302 University.
The tasty trend has made its way to the Hub City. Red Mango at 8004 Quaker serves up all-natural nonfat frozen yogurt - topped with perfection.
You'll find our final six top performers inside the South Plains Mall at 6002 Slide Road.
* Corndog Heaven
* Mandarin Express
* Gone Nuts
* Dippin Dots
* The Popcorn Place
Now to this week's only low performer:
Church's Fried Chicken at 905 Ave. Q was cited with seven critical violations.
* French fries and pieces of fried chicken were in a hand sink. Those sinks are designated for hand washing only.
* Inspectors say employees were not properly handling ready to eat foods - like cooked chicken strips.
* They also noted that there was the potential for cross-contamination.
* Wall insulation was exposed, and toxic items were stored with to go bags and paper towels.
* The dish wash machine was not sanitizing. And the sanitizer solution in a cleaning bucket was too highly concentrated.
* Multiple items in the kitchen were dirty including: red algae inside the ice machine and heavy buildup on the soda nozzles.
* And according to the report - the health inspector felt the manager on duty did not have proper food handling knowledge. It is also noted that the facility is under new management.
We tried to contact Church's for a comment, but our repeated calls were not answered.
The report shows all but one violation were corrected at the time of the inspection.
Copyright 2011 KCBD. All rights reserved.