Lubbock first grader starts relief effort to help tornado victim - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Lubbock first grader gets community support for relief effort to help tornado victims

She is only seven-years-old, but her actions are of someone much older.  A Lubbock first grader with a big heart has started a relief effort for tornado victims in Joplin, Missouri.

On Sunday Haley Walker, 7, was watching the news with her mother when she first saw the devastation of the tornado that ripped through Joplin. "I saw the tornado, and was like oh my gosh… we have family and friends living there," said Haley.

"I am so proud of her," said Amber Walker. "It's an honor to call her my kid."

Donations are now stacked to the roof of a 50 ft semi-truck thanks to an outpouring of support from the community.

"I heard Haley's story and I just had to get involved I didn't know how but I just knew I had to be apart of it," Amanda Landtroop said.

"I knew right away I wanted to come and help out and support her," Experience Life Church member, Jill Heflin said.

Jill Heflin and seven other members of Experience Life Church have planned a mission trip to help deliver the truck filled with donations to those who lost everything in Joplin's recent tornado.

"This could happen in Lubbock anytime, any day, any moment, if we were put in that position we would want help. So I thought we've got to get down there and help them," Heflin said.

The group will leave Sunday and stay in Joplin til Wednesday. Amber Walker whose daughter started the relief efforts is still in awe of the communities help. "I am amazed and in shock. I am so thankful for everyone and Experience Life Church, they've helped me out tremendously," Amber Walker said.

Walker says most of all she is thrilled with the support from the community and how far her daughters relief efforts have come. "I've seen a leap, not a jump, a leap. And I'm hoping it doubles and triples and maybe well need another truck.

If you would like to help please call 806-577-7963.

UPDATE (May 25):  If you would like to donate but missed Tuesday's collection, you can still drop off donations at the United Supermarket on 82nd and Frankford Avenue through Sunday.

Copyright 2011 KCBD. All rights reserved.

Kovalchuk scores twice, Russians outclass US 4-0 at Olympics

Saturday, February 17 2018 9:52 AM EST2018-02-17 14:52:36 GMT
    Saturday, February 17 2018 2:35 PM EST2018-02-17 19:35:39 GMT
    Ilya Kovalchuk scored two back-breaking goals as the Russians outplayed, outhit and outclassed the United States in a convincing 4-0 shutout Saturday night as each team wrapped up pool play at the Olympics.

Trump focuses on first responders after Florida shooting

Saturday, February 17 2018 1:30 AM EST2018-02-17 06:30:42 GMT
    Saturday, February 17 2018 2:35 PM EST2018-02-17 19:35:23 GMT
    President Donald Trump visited a Florida community reeling from a deadly school shooting, meeting privately with victims and cheering the heroics of first responders, but extending few public words of consolation to those in deep mourning.

7.2 quake damages homes, but Mexico avoids major destruction

Saturday, February 17 2018 12:12 AM EST2018-02-17 05:12:39 GMT
    Saturday, February 17 2018 2:34 PM EST2018-02-17 19:34:06 GMT
    A powerful earthquake that rattled south and central Mexico caused little apparent destruction but rekindled fears in a population that still sees daily reminders of deadly earthquakes five months ago.