Road resurfacing resumes in Lubbock neighborhoods - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Road resurfacing resumes in Lubbock neighborhoods

Three years ago, Lubbock started using a micro-surfacing process to preserve solid existing pavements on interstates, highways, streets and parking areas. It's designed to protect the pavement and provide a skid-resistant wearing surface.

The city started its 2011 road project in June. Residents will get a yellow notice on their doors that reads STREET CLOSED, with directions not to park on the street during a certain day.

No parking signs and barricades lined the 2800 block of 88th street Wednesday, but area residents didn't seem to mind the inconvenience.

"People in this community pay very high taxes. We appreciate what the city is doing," Lubbock resident Dr. Tomas Balderas said.

"I like this better. It's smoother. It's better than before I think. I don't mind parking a little farther away for one day," Lubbock resident Romi Garcia said. "It was just one day, you know. I guess about 5 p.m. I could already drive in to my driveway."

"I got in before they started so I won't be able to leave until they get through, but other than that its no big deal," Lubbock resident Dennis Gram said.

However, some people on another street, a few blocks away, were notified the work would start last week and it never did.

"I just don't know if I'm going to be able to get back in when I leave you know," Lubbock resident Dalton Attaway said.

Dalton received notice last week that the work would be done and the cones that read "No Parking" still sit on his street. "I just don't know when their going to start," Attaway said.

The city says if they delay your street resurfacing, they won't surprise you on the way home.

"If a contractor is delayed by a day and they have given notice out, that will go back in line with the rest of the streets and they will receive 24-hour notice before it happens again," City of Lubbock Utility Superintendent Kevin Lair said. "We're sorry for the inconvenience. It's an inconvenience today, but it's going to make the roads last much longer and it's better for their tax dollars."

With curing time of about one to two hours, the city says they start work from 6:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. and they will be done with the work on your street by 7 p.m.

Copyright 2011 KCBD. All rights reserved.

Bernie Casey, pro football player turned actor, dies

Wednesday, September 20 2017 7:55 PM EDT2017-09-20 23:55:35 GMT
    Thursday, September 21 2017 4:58 PM EDT2017-09-21 20:58:04 GMT
    (Photo by Ryan Miller/Invision/AP, File). FILE - In this May 23, 2014 file photo, Bernie Casey appears after a performance of "The Tallest Tree in the Forest" in in Los Angeles. Casey, the professional football player turned actor known for parts in “R...(Photo by Ryan Miller/Invision/AP, File). FILE - In this May 23, 2014 file photo, Bernie Casey appears after a performance of "The Tallest Tree in the Forest" in in Los Angeles. Casey, the professional football player turned actor known for parts in “R...

Bernie Casey, a professional football player turned actor known for parts in "Revenge of the Nerds" and "I'm Gonna Git You Sucka," has died.

Aaron Hernandez had severe CTE; daughter sues NFL, Pats

Thursday, September 21 2017 4:15 PM EDT2017-09-21 20:15:34 GMT
    Thursday, September 21 2017 5:28 PM EDT2017-09-21 21:28:03 GMT

Aaron Hernandez's lawyer said the former New England Patriots tight end's brain showed signs of a degenerative brain disease.

Facebook to release Russia ads to Congress amid pressure

Thursday, September 21 2017 3:55 PM EDT2017-09-21 19:55:51 GMT
    Thursday, September 21 2017 5:27 PM EDT2017-09-21 21:27:43 GMT

Facebook says it will release the Russia-backed, potentially illegal election ads that ran on its platform to congressional investigators.