Robert Loveless with the Lubbock Fire Marshal's Office tells KCBD that they believe a discarded cigarette is to blame for a Monday evening house fire in east Lubbock. The fire started around 6:00 p.m. at a home near East 3rd Street and U.S. Highway 62.
Lubbock Fire Fighters remained on the scene for several hours Monday. Crews sprayed water from the ground and used a ladder truck to shoot water from the air onto the fire. They were called back to the scene Tuesday afternoon to douse a hot spot.
Loveless says the home is vacant. He says they were able to trace the path of the fire from the side of the road to the home. That's why they suspect a cigarette is to blame. Now, Loveless says the fire department is working with the police department to crack down on issuing citations for those who toss out cigarettes
Copyright 2011 KCBD. All rights reserved.