Buffalo Beano Fights to Stay in Same Location of 26 Years - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

10/24/03

Buffalo Beano Fights to Stay in Same Location of 26 Years

The City of Lubbock’s attorneys filed a condemnation suit in county court on October 15th. It’s a legal document pushing for the city to have complete property ownership putting Buffalo Beano out of its rented building. Buffalo Beano owners now have more than six years left on their lease.

One year ago, McDougal properties offered Buffalo Beano owners $325,000 to move. But the owners rejected the offer. As a last attempt, the City of Lubbock last month offered the owners $150,000. Again, the owners refused. So now, time is running out. "The Overton Park is progressing rapidly and so we need to widen 8th street soon," said Craig Farmer, City Planning Director.

Right now, 8th Street is nearly 40 feet wide. Farmer says they need to widen eighth street 100 feet to make room for a four lane street, with sidewalks and eight foot parking lanes on both sides and a 24 foot median providing pedestrian and biking trails.

Buffalo Beano's Dallas attorney calls the 24 foot median unnecessary and that the city's street plan could be adjusted. That way, Beano doesn't have to move.

But Farmer says the plan can't change. "That boulevard was part of that redevelopment project which enabled the developer to sell property. We've got other interested parties that are buying property based on this redevelopment project and it's based on that median," says Farmer.

In the petition filed by the city, it states the land being sought after is of public needs, safety and welfare demand to create a public use. However, Buffalo Beano's attorney challenge that a 24 foot median is plainly for looks and attraction and not a public demand.

Attorneys on both sides say it could take up to two years before this is resolved. No date has been set for the litigation hearing.

  • Local News on KCBD.comNewsMore>>

  • Lance Armstrong settles $100M lawsuit with US government

    Lance Armstrong settles $100M lawsuit with US government

    Thursday, April 19 2018 4:32 PM EDT2018-04-19 20:32:44 GMT
    Thursday, April 19 2018 5:36 PM EDT2018-04-19 21:36:17 GMT
    (Bernard Papon/Pool Photo via AP, File). FILE - In this July 24, 2004, file pool photo, overall leader Lance Armstrong, right, of Austin, Texas, follows compatriot and teammate Floyd Landis, left, in the ascent of the La Croix Fry pass during the 17th ...(Bernard Papon/Pool Photo via AP, File). FILE - In this July 24, 2004, file pool photo, overall leader Lance Armstrong, right, of Austin, Texas, follows compatriot and teammate Floyd Landis, left, in the ascent of the La Croix Fry pass during the 17th ...
    Lance Armstrong has reached a$5 million settlement with the federal government in a civil whistleblower lawsuit that could have sought $100 million in damages from the former cyclist.
    Lance Armstrong has reached a$5 million settlement with the federal government in a civil whistleblower lawsuit that could have sought $100 million in damages from the former cyclist.
  • Southwest Airlines sought more time for engine inspections

    Southwest Airlines sought more time for engine inspections

    Thursday, April 19 2018 1:02 AM EDT2018-04-19 05:02:22 GMT
    Thursday, April 19 2018 5:35 PM EDT2018-04-19 21:35:40 GMT
    (NTSB via AP). National Transportation Safety Board investigators examine damage to the engine of the Southwest Airlines plane that made an emergency landing at Philadelphia International Airport in Philadelphia on Tuesday, April 17, 2018. The Southwes...(NTSB via AP). National Transportation Safety Board investigators examine damage to the engine of the Southwest Airlines plane that made an emergency landing at Philadelphia International Airport in Philadelphia on Tuesday, April 17, 2018. The Southwes...

    The Federal Aviation Administration's announcement late Wednesday comes nearly a year after the engine's manufacturer recommended the additional inspections, and a month after European regulators ordered their airlines to do the work.

    The Federal Aviation Administration's announcement late Wednesday comes nearly a year after the engine's manufacturer recommended the additional inspections, and a month after European regulators ordered their airlines to do the work.

  • Raul Castro retires as Cuban president, outlines future

    Raul Castro retires as Cuban president, outlines future

    Thursday, April 19 2018 12:11 AM EDT2018-04-19 04:11:58 GMT
    Thursday, April 19 2018 5:34 PM EDT2018-04-19 21:34:55 GMT
    Miguel Diaz-Canal is the first person not named Castro to lead Cuba in 50 years. (Source: CNN)Miguel Diaz-Canal is the first person not named Castro to lead Cuba in 50 years. (Source: CNN)

    Raul Castro's departure from the presidency is a symbolically charged moment for a country that has been under the absolute rule of one family since the Cuban revolution of the 1950s.

    Raul Castro's departure from the presidency is a symbolically charged moment for a country that has been under the absolute rule of one family since the Cuban revolution of the 1950s.

Powered by Frankly