Sheet metal blamed for fire near Reese Center - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Sheet metal blamed for fire near Reese Center

Posted: Updated:
LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) -

A large sheet of metal is to blame for a grass fire near Reese Technology Center around 3 O'clock Sunday afternoon. 

Officials say the wind picked up the sheet metal and brought it into contact with a power line, which caused a spark.  Temperatures were more than 100 degrees with humidity levels about 6% at the time and so the grass below the power line quickly caught fire. 

At one point the fire was threatening homes near Inler Avenue and Erskine Street.  West Carlisle and Shallowater volunteer fire departments were able to get the blaze out before it got too close to homes or to Reese.

Copyright 2011 KCBD NewsChannel 11. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

5600 Avenue A
Lubbock, TX. 79404

FCC Public File
publicfile@kcbd.com
806-744-1414
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KCBD. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.