Neighbors say explosion preceded overnight house fire - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Neighbors say explosion preceded overnight house fire

Posted: Updated:
LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) -

Neighbors say they heard what sounded like an explosion Sunday night in east Lubbock, right before a house fire that sent one person to the hospital.

Fire investigator Bob Bailey says Timothy Wilson, a man in his mid 40's, was using a gas powered generator inside his bedroom at the 2600 block of E. Baylor Street before the fire at 10:09 p.m. They say Wilson used a lighter to see what he was doing when he poured gas into his generator, that's what started the fire.

Neighbors, including Mary Williams, say Wilson's power was cut off to the home months ago, which is why they think he was using a generator. 

"From what I understand, they had a generator in the house and it exploded because that's what he came and told me before the ambulance picked him up," said Williams.

Luckily, Wilson himself warned Williams and her granddaughter about the fire.

"I heard the window crack and the flames. I just immediately told my grandma let's get out and by then other neighbors were helping us get out," said Shavonte Williams, Timothy Wilson's next door neighbor.

Dwight Culver said he took action to stop the fire from spreading to his mother's house before the Fire Department arrived.

He said, "[A] neighbor had a hose so I got the hose from the neighbor and was squirting the fence because the wind was going to carry it to mom's house."

Wilson was taken to UMC with burns to his chest and neck. He remains in satisfactory condition.

Several dogs were outside the house when the fire started, according to investigators. They were taken by Animal Services.

The only item not burned was Wilson's bike, something he uses everyday to get around.

This is an incident that terrified a neighborhood, but now everyone is heartbroken for Wilson's loss. Bailey says Wilson's home was not insured.

"I'm going to do my best to help him as always," said Williams.

Investigators say they want to remind people not to use combustible fuels inside the home or near structures.

Copyright 2011 KCBD NewsChannel 11. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

5600 Avenue A
Lubbock, TX. 79404

FCC Public File
publicfile@kcbd.com
806-744-1414
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KCBD. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.