Fire victim biking thousands of miles to reunite with family - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

House fire victim biking thousands of miles to reunite with family

He lost everything — his wife, his house and his belongings — but it's not stopping him from moving forward. John Allen is traveling from Yuma, Arizona to Little Rock, Arkansas with a 400 pound wagon hitched to a bike carrying all he has left with his dog Lady Marie Allen.

Monday morning, KCBD found Allen in Ralls.

"I'm taking Hwy. 82 all the way across into Texarkana, and from there we're going to shoot up the Fayetteville Mountains," said Allen.

Allen says his family was able to escape the house fire, but his wife later died of smoke inhalation. He then sent his two children by bus to stay with family in Little Rock, but he wasn't able to take Lady Marie by bus … so they're in it for the long haul.

"Me and my dog decided we're going to ride a bicycle across to get where my kids are. We're headed over there to start over," said Allen.

Allen rides along the roadside with his covered wagon, a shaded spot for his beloved Lady Marie, and a sign that says "Broke and Hungry. Lost everything in a house fire, God Bless." He carries everything he has left.

"I've got photo albums of my wife and kids – what could be salvaged. Also have some extra kids' clothes that I was able to salvage after the fire… I have to have clothes for the kids. I cleaned what I could and loaded it up," he said.

Despite the heat and heavy load, Allen says he has it pretty easy. "I got it made. I have the Lord on my side… it's the other people who've got it hard," he said with a smile.

Once Allen gets to Little Rock, he plans to try to piece his life back together and start anew.

Copyright 2011 KCBD. All rights reserved.

The Latest: Kim's wife to cross border for dinner with South

Thursday, April 26 2018 8:03 PM EDT2018-04-27 00:03:04 GMT
    Friday, April 27 2018 2:54 AM EDT2018-04-27 06:54:18 GMT
    (AP Photo/Ahn Young-joon). South Korean President Moon Jae-in waves as he leaves to meet with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, near presidential Blue House in Seoul, South Korea, Friday, April 27, 2018. North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and President Moo...(AP Photo/Ahn Young-joon). South Korean President Moon Jae-in waves as he leaves to meet with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, near presidential Blue House in Seoul, South Korea, Friday, April 27, 2018. North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and President Moo...
    South Korean President Moon Jae-in leaves for summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

Trump's Cohen comments raise questions about relationship

Thursday, April 26 2018 9:18 AM EDT2018-04-26 13:18:48 GMT
    Friday, April 27 2018 2:53 AM EDT2018-04-27 06:53:49 GMT
    President Donald Trump says his personal attorney Michael Cohen represents him 'with this crazy Stormy Daniels deal' and that 'from what I see he did absolutely nothing wrong.' (Source: CNN)President Donald Trump says his personal attorney Michael Cohen represents him 'with this crazy Stormy Daniels deal' and that 'from what I see he did absolutely nothing wrong.' (Source: CNN)

President Donald Trump says his personal attorney Michael Cohen represents him "with this crazy Stormy Daniels deal" and that "from what I see he did absolutely nothing wrong."

Tom Brokaw denies sexual misconduct claim by ex-NBC reporter

Thursday, April 26 2018 9:49 PM EDT2018-04-27 01:49:41 GMT
    Friday, April 27 2018 2:53 AM EDT2018-04-27 06:53:28 GMT
    Tom Brokaw speaks at the Pennsylvania Chamber of Business and Industry annual dinner Monday, Sept. 22, 2014, in Hershey, Pa. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke)Tom Brokaw speaks at the Pennsylvania Chamber of Business and Industry annual dinner Monday, Sept. 22, 2014, in Hershey, Pa. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke)

A woman who worked as a war correspondent for NBC News says Tom Brokaw groped her, twice tried to forcibly kiss her and made inappropriate overtures attempting to have an affair.