For the first time, the man who used a lighter to see what he was doing when pouring gas into his generator speaks out about that terrifying day. His house caught fire and was completely destroyed in the 2600 block of East Baylor Street.
Timothy Wilson, 44, suffered second degree burns on his chest, neck and hand. He says he fell on hard times and his power had been shut off for months, so he was using a generator. Wilson says he made an honest mistake using it inside his home and now he has nothing left.
"I'm sentimental, so I will try not to cry," said Wilson.
Wilson says he is happy he's alive and thankful he didn't hurt anyone else. Currently, he is still recovering at University Medical Center. He says he is trying to stay positive, despite his misfortune.
"My mother worked so hard to keep that house. That's really the only thing she said she left us and it just went up in flames," said Wilson.
Wilson had been living in the house since Kindergarten, now it's just a pile of ashes. He now sits in his hospital room wiping his tears, but he believes everything happens for a reason.
"I had high blood pressure. Maybe it was a way to get me here. Who knows maybe in a couple years I could have been gone anyway. I look at it as a blessing. I had to sacrifice some things, but I'm still alive," said Wilson.
Once he does fully recover, Wilson plans to go back to what's left of his home. He hopes his Bible and personal pictures will still be intact, something that can't be replaced.
Wilson is now wants to warn others. He says never use a generator inside your home.
"I believe everything is going to work out ok. I can smile again and be happy again. I can say I may be hurt but I'm not dead," said Wilson.
Wilson unfortunately has no home insurance. Right now, he needs anything so he can rebuild his life.
If you would like to help you can donate to the Timothy Wilson Benefit Fund at any American State Bank.
Copyright 2011 KCBD NewsChannel 11. All rights reserved.