Lubbock fire investigators know how a late night house fire started the first time. It's the second time that has them puzzled.
Firefighters were first called to a house near 65th and Avenue T just after 9:00 PM Saturday. The renter was not home at the time and investigators believe an overloaded extension cord started the blaze.
Fire crews left the scene around midnight. But just three hours later they were back, fighting an even larger fire. Investigators have reason to believe the fire did not rekindle on its own.
The house was nearly gutted and several cats were killed in the fire. Both fires remain under investigation.
Copyright 2011 KCBD NewsChannel 11. All rights reserved.