The history of Wolfforth - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

The history of Wolfforth

Posted: Updated:
WOLFFORTH, TX (KCBD) -

Did you know Wolfforth was actually supposed to have the letter "a" in it?  During the early days of Wolfforth, brothers George and Eastin "Wolfarth" were putting the South Plains on the map with the help of the Santa Fe Railroad.  But, in order to set up shop, they needed a post office.

When they got a letter back from the railroad headquarters there was an "o" in place of an "a." But, back in those days it would have taken too long to fix, so they just went with it.

The city was incorporated in 1950 with only a population of 337.  Wolfforth, which is only 12 miles from Lubbock, continues to prosper today with 3600 residents, a 43 percent increase from the last census.

Copyright 2011 KCBD NewsChannel 11. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

5600 Avenue A
Lubbock, TX. 79404

FCC Public File
publicfile@kcbd.com
806-744-1414
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KCBD. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.