An elderly woman is lucky to be alive after she was rescued from her burning home in east Lubbock Wednesday.
Danielle Anderson, 72, is in critical condition at UMC with burn injuries and smoke inhalation.
Neighbors say the Anderson family told them Danielle is expected to pull through, though she is in the burn unit at the hospital.
Anderson was saved by a school administrator from Dunbar College Preparatory Academy, just a block away.
Justin Skelton, 31, was on the way back to the school when he saw smoke at the home. After discovering Anderson was locked inside, he kicked down the door and rescued Anderson with help from another man.
"The door was locked and what we did was kick in the door. We saw the lady on the floor a few feet in and ran in and grabbed her and pulled her out," said Skelton.
This is Skelton's first year as an administrator at Dunbar and he had no idea he was rescuing the mother of a co-worker.
Anderson's son is the band director at Dunbar with Skelton and her husband is a crossing guard at Wheatley Elementary School, just down the road.
"It's not about me, it's about protecting the people you live around and work around," Skelton said.
A Lubbock fire marshal tells us the fire likely started from a lamp near a bed in one of the rooms. The house is not a total loss, but the bedroom and hallway had extensive damage.
©2011 KCBD NewsChannel 11. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.