Two men were caught on camera Sunday morning while trying to light the La Kumbia nightclub on fire. Now, fire investigators are asking for your help to find these two suspects.
The owner of La Kumbia, Nikos Kouris, says the suspects used a canister filled with gasoline to start the fire, but there was only minor damage done to the building. The worst damage is the shattered door. The suspects didn't realize they were being recorded.
Kouris says the suspects tried to break his window with a brick and throw a gas canister inside, but the window never fully broke and the flames ended up on the door mat, nearly lighting the suspects on fire instead.
Kouris is hoping authorities will be able to recover fingerprints from 2 additional canisters that were thrown on the roof.
"We believe it was connected to an incident at a local nightclub, Taboo. They were kicked out because they were dressed inappropriately," Kouris said.
Kouris says the incident was retaliation.
"With clients like that who get upset and retaliate, we might lose everything we have," Kouris said.
David Tischler, an employee working the graveyard shift at a nearby motel saved the building.
Koko Inn general manager Phyllis Crable said, "He found the front mat of La Kumbia on fire and he pulled it away from the building. Then the fire department showed up."
Crable says Tischler's efforts prevented a few other buildings from catching fire.
"That building attaches to everything over there. That would have affected the Koko Palace, which was our main concern," Crable said.
Crable is proud of her employee.
"Koko has the best employees in town," Crable said. "They will go way above and beyond for everybody."
Kouris can't thank him enough.
"I owe him big time, I really do," Kouris said.
Arson is a first degree felony punishable by 5 to 99 years of confinement and up to $10,000 in fines. La Kumbia Club has offered a $1,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and prosecution of these individuals.
Anyone with information regarding this incident is encouraged to contact the Lubbock Fire Marshal's Office at 806-775-2646 or Crime Line at 741-1000.
Copyright 2011 KCBD NewsChannel 11