Firefighters battle apartment fire in central Lubbock - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Firefighters battle apartment fire in central Lubbock

Posted: Updated:
LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) -

An apartment fire at 6505 Avenue Q left 26 people homeless Friday after an unattended stove started a blaze on the 2nd floor.

Thirty firefighters spent the afternoon containing the fire that started at Somerset Apartments a little after noon Friday.

The fire started in an apartment that had been without electricity for two days. Electrical service was restored just before noon. Firefighters responded at 12:07 p.m.

Deputy Fire Marshal Robert Loveless reports that there was extensive damage to the apartment where the fire started, but there were no injuries reported.

The Fire Marshal's report states that the cause of the fire was unintentional, and that there were no working smoke detectors in any of the 12 apartments.

Loveless says this is the third apartment fire in the last several months where the stove was the heat source. The Fire Marshal's statement reminds everyone that it is important that all cooking appliances be turned off when unattended.  Equally important is to never store anything on or near a cook top.

The Fire Marshal's Office would like to remind everyone to check their smoke detectors monthly and never remove the battery without replacing it with a new one.  Renters insurance can be purchased for about $10 per month to cover losses from theft or fire.

Copyright 2011 KCBD NewsChannel 11

Powered by WorldNow

5600 Avenue A
Lubbock, TX. 79404

FCC Public File
publicfile@kcbd.com
806-744-1414
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KCBD. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.