Hale County family mourns man lost in train collision - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Hale County family mourns man lost in train collision

J.R.'s son Mike and great-granddaughter Maegan J.R.'s son Mike and great-granddaughter Maegan
HALE COUNTY, TX (KCBD) -

A Hale County family lost a beloved husband and grandfather Wednesday when the car he was driving was hit by a train.

The accident occurred north of Hale Center just after noon.

James Roy Collins, 83, was pronounced dead shortly after the collision near the intersection of County Road Q and the access road for Interstate 27.

Collins' family says he was known as ‘J. R.'

He was a preacher in the area for three decades and they say he didn't know a stranger in Plainview.

"I think reality just hit me," Collins' son Mike said.

Mike held his father J. R.'s adopted great-granddaughter Maegan as they prepared to tell Collins' wife - their mother - the tragic news.

"He won't be able to take care of her anymore. It'll be up to me, my brother, and my sister and my grand kids," Mike said.

Collins lived just up the county road from the railroad tracks. Mike says his father was leaving to see his wife in a Plainview care facility, but he never made it.

"I don't know [what happened], unless he had his mind on going to Plainview to take care of my mother and didn't see the train or hear the whistle," Mike said.

With no crossing guards at the intersection, state troopers with the highway patrol say Collins tried to cross and failed to yield the right of way to the northbound train.

Collins adopted Maegan and her siblings when she was four. He raised them as he preached for several churches around Plainview and Hale Center.

"He was my dad," Maegan said, holding back tears. "He raised me. He was my daddy."

Just after the accident, Mike searched through the wreckage and was able to find his father's wedding ring and a few other items - small memories of a man they'll never forget.

Maegan knows her great grandfather loves her, but wishes she had been able to tell him before he left.

"I would tell him I loved him one more time," Maegan said.

"I'd tell him how much I appreciate what he'd done for me as I was growing up, and what a good father he was," Mike said.

Mike was able to tell his father he loved him just before he was pronounced dead.

"I don't know if he heard me or not, but I got to tell him I love him," Mike said.

Mike says Aerocare landed at the scene and was ready to take Collins to UMC in Lubbock, but he passed away before the chopper left.

The Department of Public Safety and the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway Company continue to investigate the accident.

Copyright 2011 KCBD NewsChannel 11

5 dead after tornado, flooding from central US storms

Sunday, February 25 2018 2:25 AM EST2018-02-25 07:25:46 GMT
    Sunday, February 25 2018 6:59 PM EST2018-02-25 23:59:56 GMT
    (Liz Dufour/The Cincinnati Enquirer via AP). A view from the Central Bridge shows the flooding from the Ohio River  Saturday, Feb. 24, 2018 in Cincinnati.  Forecasters expected the Ohio River could reach levels not seen since the region's deadly 1997 f...(Liz Dufour/The Cincinnati Enquirer via AP). A view from the Central Bridge shows the flooding from the Ohio River Saturday, Feb. 24, 2018 in Cincinnati. Forecasters expected the Ohio River could reach levels not seen since the region's deadly 1997 f...

A man in northeast Arkansas and a woman in south central Kentucky both were killed as the storm that also included strong winds, hail and heavy rain that triggered flooding muscled its way through the area, according to authorities.

Political end to Olympics: NKorea offers talks with US

Sunday, February 25 2018 2:16 AM EST2018-02-25 07:16:08 GMT
    Sunday, February 25 2018 6:59 PM EST2018-02-25 23:59:23 GMT
    (AP Photo/Patrick Semansky). A volunteer walks in a foggy Pyeongchang Olympic Plaza during the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea, Saturday, Feb. 24, 2018.(AP Photo/Patrick Semansky). A volunteer walks in a foggy Pyeongchang Olympic Plaza during the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea, Saturday, Feb. 24, 2018.

Pyeongchang closes its chapter of the modern Olympics on Sunday night with tales of detente and competitive grit and volunteerism and verve.

China paves way for Xi Jinping to extend rule beyond 2 terms

Sunday, February 25 2018 4:05 AM EST2018-02-25 09:05:47 GMT
    Sunday, February 25 2018 6:17 PM EST2018-02-25 23:17:26 GMT
    Chinese President Xi Jinping speaks during a joint press briefing with French President Emmanuel Macron, at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing, Tuesday, Jan. 9, 2018. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein, Pool)Chinese President Xi Jinping speaks during a joint press briefing with French President Emmanuel Macron, at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing, Tuesday, Jan. 9, 2018. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein, Pool)

China's official news agency says the ruling Communist Party has proposed removing a limit of two consecutive terms for the country's president and vice president.