City Manager Controversy: Do Lubbockites Care? - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

1/8/04

City Manager Controversy: Do Lubbockites Care?

All the controversy at city hall has brought out some heated debate, but from concentrated groups of people. NewsChannel 11 hit city streets to find out if ordinary, average citizens really care about all that's happening. It was by no means a scientific survey but armed with a microphone and with a photographer, we set out to see if the public is following city hall's woes as closely as the media. The answer: a handful do, but the rest were not even close.

Here are some of the responses we got:

"I do lightly, but not really heavily."

"Not at all. I don't know what's going on down there."

"I see it on the news sometimes, but if you ask for specifics, I couldn't tell you what's going on now."

"When it comes on the news, I cringe and change the channel."

"I don't listen to it. I'm usually watching gunsmoke or something."

But there are exceptions... surprisingly, some people do follow the city manager news. Here are their reactions:

"I sure do." Then we asked, "What are your concerns about everything that's going on?" The answer: "It's not good. It's not good for the community and what's right or wrong I don't know, but it seems to me all the foolishness needs to end and we need to clean it up."

"It's clear as black and white. In this case black and white and brown."

So, how well do the people who follow the news, know the news? Here's What they said when we asked who is current city manager.

"It's an interim...let's see what's her name? I don't remember but she's a lady isn't she?"

"Gonzales."

"I don't know."

"I know they appointed some gentlemen. I forget his name now."

"Now, concerned citizens hope city hall will just get back on track."

One says, "With plenty of prayer, I think we'll be all right." Another says, "Let's just hope we can unite, become one community. That's what we should be."

NewsChannel 11 asked the people who've been following all the news out of city hall what they think of all the severance pay the city is paying out. As taxpayers, most said, they think it's too much and would be better spent elsewhere. Some thought, Bob Cass shouldn't get any at all, others thought Tommy Gonzales at least deserved some severance.

To many Americans, Memorial Day has lost its meaning

Sunday, May 28 2017 10:36 AM EDT2017-05-28 14:36:14 GMT
    Sunday, May 28 2017 10:36 AM EDT2017-05-28 14:36:14 GMT

While millions of Americans celebrate the long Memorial Day weekend as the unofficial start of summer, some veterans and loved ones of fallen military members wish the holiday would command more respect.

Trump eyes White House overhaul, outside lawyers and PR team

Sunday, May 28 2017 10:35 AM EDT2017-05-28 14:35:48 GMT
    Sunday, May 28 2017 10:35 AM EDT2017-05-28 14:35:48 GMT

Trump faces a slew of political and policy challenges at home and intensifying inquiries into allegations his campaign had contacts with Russian officials before he entered the White House.

Trump's trip: Conventional images and unconventional talk

Sunday, May 28 2017 10:16 AM EDT2017-05-28 14:16:38 GMT
    Sunday, May 28 2017 10:16 AM EDT2017-05-28 14:16:38 GMT

President Donald Trump will return to Washington having rattled some allies and reassured others, but his White House still sits under a cloud of scandal.