Battery operated toys can be harmful to children - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Battery operated toys can be harmful to children

Posted: Updated:

Just think a minute about all the things in your house that run by battery.  From toys to kitchen gadgets to the remote control on the coffee table, more and more kids are ending up in the hospital with symptoms that look like the flu.  However, it turns out they've swallowed a small battery.

When that gets lodged in the throat, it only takes a few hours for that battery to create an electrical current, and burn through tissue. In the meantime, parents and even doctors can be fooled by the symptoms.

Dr. Kris Jatana said, "Children will have non-specific symptoms, such as a cough, a fever, uh, they're more irritable. Symptoms that are consistent that you see in a common viral illness with children."

A 2010 study from the National Capital Poison Center found an almost 7-fold increase in battery ingestions over the past 25 years. Thirteen children have died because of that.

Now, the Consumer Product Safety Commission is taking a closer look at batteries, and encouraging parents to make sure battery containers are sealed well, and not a temptation for kids.

Copyright 2011 KCBD.  All rights reserved

Powered by WorldNow

5600 Avenue A
Lubbock, TX. 79404

FCC Public File
publicfile@kcbd.com
806-744-1414
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KCBD. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.