Powell to request special prosecutor for Connor Mercer case - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Powell to request special prosecutor for Connor Mercer case

Connor Mercer Connor Mercer
LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) -

Lubbock County District Attorney Matt Powell is asking a judge to appoint a special prosecutor to work on the case against two individuals accused of providing alcohol to teenagers the night before 17-year-old Connor Mercer was killed in an accident.

Powell tells KCBD NewsChannel 11 that he is close with the Mercer family and will ask that a special prosecutor take over the case to avoid any potential impropriety.

Mercer was killed when his body was struck by a truck in November. Toxicology results revealed the 17-year-old had a blood alcohol level nearly three times the legal limit for an adult.

The Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission determined that an adult purchased alcohol for a teenage relative and his friends to be consumed at an unsupervised party.

They recommended a charge of making alcohol available to a minor for the adult and minor involved to the district attorney's office last month.

Powell expects a response to his request in a couple of weeks.

Copyright 2012 KCBD NewsChannel 11

  • Local News on KCBD.comNewsMore>>

  • Next Minneapolis police chief tasked with changing culture

    Next Minneapolis police chief tasked with changing culture

    Saturday, July 22 2017 1:49 AM EDT2017-07-22 05:49:17 GMT
    Saturday, July 22 2017 8:53 PM EDT2017-07-23 00:53:39 GMT

    Minneapolis police chief says she wants to let 'fresh set of leadership eyes' be in charge of department, resigns amid criticism over shooting of Australian woman who had called 911.

    Minneapolis police chief says she wants to let 'fresh set of leadership eyes' be in charge of department, resigns amid criticism over shooting of Australian woman who had called 911.

  • Trump's new message man deletes inconvenient tweets

    Trump's new message man deletes inconvenient tweets

    Saturday, July 22 2017 4:20 PM EDT2017-07-22 20:20:31 GMT
    Saturday, July 22 2017 8:52 PM EDT2017-07-23 00:52:25 GMT

    One of Anthony Scaramucci's first acts after accepting President Donald Trump's offer to be the new White House communications director was to apologize to Trump.

    One of Anthony Scaramucci's first acts after accepting President Donald Trump's offer to be the new White House communications director was to apologize to Trump.

  • Trump: USS Ford is '100,000-ton message to the world'

    Trump: USS Ford is '100,000-ton message to the world'

    Saturday, July 22 2017 3:30 AM EDT2017-07-22 07:30:57 GMT
    Saturday, July 22 2017 8:52 PM EDT2017-07-23 00:52:10 GMT

    President Donald Trump will help commission the USS Gerald R. Ford, a $12.9 billion warship.

    President Donald Trump will help commission the USS Gerald R. Ford, a $12.9 billion warship.

Powered by Frankly