A home in the 1300 block of 38th St. and Avenue caught fire Tuesday morning around 11:30. A neighbor reported the blaze and the Lubbock Fire Department responded just three minutes later.
Miguel and Rosemary Hernandez live in the house with their twin daughters. Hernandez called his wife around noon to tell her about the fire, but she was already on her way home.
"Something inside me said, I hope it's not our house... I prayed that all the traffic would move so I could get here," Hernandez said.
No one was home at the time of the fire, but their small Chihuahua mix named Doby. EMS carried the dog out of the home and attempted to resuscitate it, but the dog died of smoke inhalation.
"I was just gone an hour and they told me our dog died... My daughters are going to be so sad. They loved that dog," Hernandez said.
Rosemary Hernandez had left her house about an hour before to go visit her mother. She said she was wasn't feeling well earlier and was napping on her couch with Doby when her mom called and asked her to come over. Hernandez says she's thankful to be alive.
"If she hadn't called me, I'd still be asleep there," Hernandez stated.
The fire damage was concentrated in the front room of the house, which belongs to their twin girls. The fire marshall believes the blaze was started by a combination of extension cords and a heater that was left too close to a bed.
Officials told the Hernandez family that the home was not livable for the time being because of the severity of the smoke damage. The family has set up a fund to help with expenses at any First Convenience Bank, located inside Walmart stores. The fund is listed under Rosemary and Miguel Hernandez.
Copyright 2012 KCBD. All rights reserved.