Family of Nine Homeless After House Fire - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

3/15/04

Family of Nine Homeless After House Fire

The front steps are gone. The yellow paint on the neighbors house, scorched off the aluminum siding. What was a living room is now a black mass of ash. "We've had a significant amount of damage," said a firefighter.

Alice Segovia described the loss with one word. "Everything," she said. She and her family of nine, including grandchildren, are now suddenly homeless. "You never think something like this can happen to you," she said.

An electrical short is believed to have started it. Fortunately, no one was injured. Samuel Campos was the only one home when it began. Trapped in the bathroom, he made for daylight as his exit. "Jumped out the window," he said.

Out on the street, the shock of their loss was clearly visible. "They were very upset," said Red Cross Director of Disaster Services Jody Bell. She responded to the scene, a tragic sight which has become too familiar. "Since January first we've assisted approximately 25 families in house fires," she said.

Their home for the past two days has been the Koko Inn. "What are we looking at?," NewsChannel 11 asked Segovia, standing over two lumpy pillowcases. "All that's left of my property," she said. Two pillowcases filled with photos and memories. Emotional anchors of the past, helping them cope with the uncertainty ahead.

"Where do you go from here?," asked NewsChannel 11. "I don't know," she replied.

The South Plains Chapter of the American Red Cross is currently helping assist the family, but if you would like to help the Segovia family, you can contact the Red Cross at 765-8534.

Powered by WorldNow

5600 Avenue A
Lubbock, TX. 79404

FCC Public File
publicfile@kcbd.com
806-744-1414
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KCBD. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.