Provided by Texas Tech Athletics
MALIBU, Calif. – No. 8 Pepperdine (9-6) held off No. 22 Texas Tech (8-5) to secure a 6-1 victory in men's tennis at the Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center on Wednesday.
It was the Red Raiders' ninth match this season against ranked teams. Texas Tech is 5-4 against ranked foes.
"I am very proud of the team today" said Red Raider head coach Tim Siegel. "We gave a very good Pepperdine team a heck of a match. We led in some key matches and had great effort overall.
"We need to be ready for a tough battle at UC-Santa Barbara tomorrow. We had a lot of chances to pull the upset, but Pepperdine came through when they needed to."
The day started with Pepperdine winning No. 3 doubles, where No. 75 Hugh Clarke and David Sofaer bested Tech's Jeff Bryan and Raphael Pfister, 8-4. The Red Raiders answered when the duo of Raony Carvalho and Gonzalo Escobar upset the No. 3 tandem of Alex Llompart and Finn Tearney, 9-8 (7-3).
The point came down to No. 2 doubles, where Rafael Garcia and Vitor Manzini had three match points against Sebastian Fanselow and Jenson Turner. Fanselow and Turner battled back to give Pepperdine the 9-7 win and the doubles point.
At No. 1 singles, No. 59 Escobar took the early lead against Pepperdine's No. 11 Fanselow, 6-3, 3-1, but Fanselow battle back for a 3-6, 6-3, 6-3 win. Carvalho, playing at No. 2 singles, retired in the second set to give Tearney the win. Pfister lost in straight sets to Turner, 6-1, 6-2 at No. 6, while Garcia and Manzini were upended in three-set marathons.
Texas Tech's lone win came at No. 5, where Gabriel Wanderley took a three-set win over Clarke, 1-6, 6-4, 6-4.
The Red Raiders return to action tomorrow, when they face No. 61 UC-Santa Barbara at 2:30 p.m. at the Recreation Center Courts.
1. #11 Sebastian Fanselow (PEP) def. #59 Gonzalo Escobar (TT) 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
2. #19 Finn Tearney (PEP) def. Raony Carvalho (TT) 6-2, 2-0, retired
3. Alex Llompart (PEP) def. Rafael Garcia (TT) 7-6 (7-1), 0-6, 6-3
4. #76 Mousheg Hovhannisyan (PEP) def. Vitor Manzini (TT) 7-6 (7-5), 6-2
5. Gabriel Wanderley (TT) def. Hugh Clarke (PEP) 1-6, 6-4, 6-4
6. Jenson Turner (PEP) def. Raphael Pfister (TT) 6-1, 6-2
1. Raony Carvalho/Gonzalo Escobar (TT) def. #3 Alex Llompart/Finn Tearney (PEP) 9-8 (7-3)
2. Sebastian Fanselow/Jenson Turner (PEP) def. Rafael Garcia/Vitor Manzini (TT) 9-7
3. #75 Hugh Clarke/David Sofaer (PEP) def. Jeff Bryan/Raphael Pfister (TT) 8-4
Texas Tech 8-5; National ranking #22
Pepperdine 9-6; National ranking #8
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (2,6,4,5,1,3)