Off-duty officer negotiated peaceful end to City Bank standoff - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Off-duty officer negotiated peaceful end to City Bank standoff

K-9 Officer Kody Nesbitt K-9 Officer Kody Nesbitt
Thomas Beadles Thomas Beadles

A toy plastic gun wrapped in electrical tape is to blame for Wednesday's 2-hour standoff that had police surrounding a Southwest Lubbock bank. Now authorities have released a gripping account of the hostage negotiation involving an off-duty officer.

Tommy Beadles, 61, is charged with Aggravated Kidnapping, a first degree felony.

Lubbock Police tell us Beadles went to City Bank on 82nd and Quaker at 3:20 p.m. Wednesday. He was conducting normal bank business.

Ten minutes later, he returned. This time he went in a back room and locked Jessica Pringle, 26, a loan officer, in the room with him.

Police say he asked her to tell the five bank employees in the building to leave.  

"The victim could see something in his waist band that she believed to be a weapon. At that point she was placed in fear for her life," Lubbock Police Sgt. Jonathan Stewart.

Police say Beadles then asked Pringle to call his friend, off-duty K-9 officer, Kody Nesbitt.

"I was thinking what I need to do to get my friend out of this situation. When Tommy answered first thing I asked was what was going on? Take his mind off the situation and how dangerous it was," Nesbitt said.

Not knowing the building was surrounded, officer Nesbitt negotiated Beadles to release the hostage. Around 4 o'clock she was let go.

"At that point, I took a step back and realized I needed to get out of the house and go to city bank," Nesbitt said.

When Nesbitt got to the bank he met with hostage negotiators. He tells us he did not have negotiating training. However, he explained to Beadles his family needs him and they are worth living for. By 5:30 p.m. Beadles peacefully surrendered.

Cassi Wischkamper watched the entire SWAT standoff unfold. She says she was shocked, in fact, she has known Tommy Beadles her whole life.

"He lived two doors down from my parents house," said Wischkamper.

She says she saw him Monday and everything seemed fine. Right now she is hoping his family gets answers to why Beadles did what he did.

"This is completely out of character for him, something I never would have expected," she said, "There is no criminal record that we know of."

Beadles wife, Jaynel, says her husband is mentally ill and is bi-polar. She says she thinks this was all a cry for help.

The FBI will not pursue charges. However, on the state level Beadles could face up to 99 years in prison and up to $10,000 in fines.

Copyright 2012 KCBD. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly