A study shows dangers in button batteries - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

A study shows dangers in button batteries

Posted: Updated:

A twenty year study of what sends little kids to the emergency room sends a wake-up call to parents. Here's what they found at Nationwide Children's Hospital.  Button batteries are a big problem.

In the past 20 years, 66,000 kids have been rushed to the ER after swallowing button batteries.  That's one child every 90 minutes, and twice as often as it happened 20 years ago. As grateful as we are for more high-tech gadgets, kids have more temptations with shiny, tiny batteries in everything from toys to electronics to Christmas decorations.  

If swallowed, batteries can cause internal injuries in a matter of hours. Experts say be sure to cover battery compartments with strong tape, and make sure other batteries are out of a child's reach.

Copyright 2012 KCBD. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

5600 Avenue A
Lubbock, TX. 79404

FCC Public File
publicfile@kcbd.com
806-744-1414
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KCBD. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.