Mexican made candy may be toxic, and the FDA is advising parents to not allow children to eat these products at this time.
We found several examples of this candy on Lubbock store shelves on Tuesday. It's not really important where we bought it because it's not hard to find.
The concern arose from a California newspaper article which revealed that more than 100 brands of candy sold in the U.S. had tested positive for dangerous lead levels in the last decade, with the most dangerous levels found in certain Mexican made candies.
The FDA suspects the lead contamination may be in the Mexican chili powder that is mixed in with much of this type of candy or that some of the Mexican treats are stored in poorly made glazed ceramics that release lead from the glaze into the candy. Officials with the Texas Department of Health are in the process of testing these treats from all around Texas, but so far, those results are not in yet.
In the meantime, if you'd like to see pictures of the specific candies that tested positive by the California Health Department, you can ( click here ). You'll get a close up view of all the so-called toxic candies with specific ingredients and concerns.
So, what is the big deal about lead contamination? It is well documented in children that elevated lead levels can result in delayed mental and physical development and learning deficiencies. Again, the FDA suggests parents not allow kids to eat these candies.