Unattended fire engulfs auto shop - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Unattended fire engulfs auto shop

Posted: Updated:
LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) -

Officials say the owner of Mario's Auto Shop burned trash at his shop and walked to his house next door just after 4 p.m. Saturday. The fire soon spread and engulfed the shop and the car that was being serviced inside it.

Ebony Goodloe was on her way to see the status of her car, since she had not heard from the shop owner.

She joked with her friend that the smoke was her car.

It turned out that it was no joke at all.  She quickly called 911.

Soon after, Volunteer Woodrow Firefighters and Buffalo Springs Lake Fire Department responded to the 9500 block County Road 2500 to put out the fire.

Goodloe said, "It's like a bad dream, a bad movie.  It's my only car," she said.  "I'm a single mom it was hard enough not having one, but now I'm fixing to go home and I don't have nothing."

Goodloe said she was told this is not the first fire at the shop.  She was told the owner has received numerous tickets before.  KCBD NewsChannel 11 was unable to confirm the owner's prior tickets.

Fire officials on scene tell KCBD NewsChannel 11 that the auto shop owner confirmed that there were various chemicals in his shop. 

The shop and the car are considered a total loss. The owner's house was not damaged.

Officials want to remind folks that although the burn ban may have been lifted, it still does not call for fires to be unattended.

Copyright 2012 KCBD. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

5600 Avenue A
Lubbock, TX. 79404

FCC Public File
publicfile@kcbd.com
806-744-1414
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KCBD. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.