From Texas Tech Athletics:
LUBBOCK, Texas – Texas Tech had its second player taken in the 2012 Major League Baseball First-Year Players Draft when junior second baseman Jamodrick McGruder (Mesquite, Texas) was selected in the 9th round (281 overall) by the Seattle Mariners in the second day of the draft on Tuesday.
McGruder becomes the second highest drafted middle infielder in Texas Tech history and the fifth highest drafted infielder in school history. It marks the 10th time in Tech history to have at least two top-10 round MLB Draft picks in the same year.
Red Raider center fielder Barrett Barnes was selected with the 45th overall selection in the MLB Draft by the Pittsburgh Pirates. In addition, Barnes and McGruder were both Freshmen All-American at Tech in 2010.
McGruder, an All-Big 12 first team selection, became the first Red Raider since 2004 to be named a semifinalist for the Dick Howser Trophy – an award given annually to the top collegiate baseball player.
McGruder batted .325 (69-for-193) this season with 54 runs, six doubles, eight triples and 27 RBI while leading the Big 12 Conference and ranking fourth nationally with 39-of-44 stolen bases.
McGruder became the first Red Raider in school history to lead the team in both triples and stolen bases during three consecutive seasons.
He led the Big 12 conference in numerous statistical categories and ranked among the top 10 in the NCAA in stolen bases (4th – 39), on-base percentage (5th - .500) and triples (10th – 8).
McGruder ranks second all-time in both Texas Tech and Big 12 history with 90 career stolen bases.
In his three-year Texas Tech career, McGruder owns a .325 (179-for-550) batting average with 139 runs, 15 doubles, 15 triples, 11 home runs, 88 RBI, 110 walks, 44 hit-by-pitch and a .469 on-base percentage.
TEXAS TECH MLB DRAFT NOTES:
- McGruder is Texas Tech's 125th all-time MLB Draft pick/free agent selection in program history.
- McGruder becomes the 30th highest MLB Draft pick in Texas Tech history.
- McGruder becomes the second highest drafted middle infielder in Texas Tech history… only Christian Colonel (2003 – Colorado Rockies, 5th Round – No. 137) has been selected higher in the MLB Draft.
- McGruder is the fifth highest infielder drafted in Texas Tech history and the highest since 2005 (Cameron Blair, Pittsburgh Pirates – 6th Round, No. 181).
- McGruder is Tech's ninth highest MLB Draft pick since 2004.
- McGruder is the 36th Texas Tech infielder to be drafted/sign free agent with an MLB organization.
- McGruder is the sixth player in Texas Tech history to be drafted/signed free agent with the Mariners.
- McGruder is the first Red Raider drafted by the Seattle Mariners since 2001 (Jason Rainey – 31st Round).
- McGruder becomes the 21st MLB Draft pick under Dan Spencer at Texas Tech.
- Marks the seventh top-10 round MLB Draft pick under Spencer at Tech (2008-2012).