Tech student charged with sexual assault released on bail - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Tech student charged with sexual assault, kidnapping released on bail

David Watson David Watson

From Chappell, Lanehart & Stangl, P.C.

Texas Tech student David Watson's $1.5 million bail has been reduced to $65,000, and he was released from the Lubbock County Detention Center today, conditioned on his compliance with terms of bail ordered by 140th District Judge Jim Bob Darnell.    

Watson is accused of aggravated sexual assault of an adult, aggravated kidnapping, possession of child pornography, improper photography, and retaliation in connection with an alleged "date-rape" encounter with a fellow Texas Tech student May 6. He maintains his innocence, according to his attorneys, Chuck Lanehart and Laurie Key of Lubbock.  He has no prior criminal history.  A Lubbock County grand jury is expected to consider the case later this month.

The bond reduction came after Watson's attorneys filed a writ of habeas corpus on his behalf, alleging lack of probable cause to hold Watson, and alleging that the amount of bail previously set was unreasonable and unlawful.  Judge Darnell conducted a hearing May 26, both sides presented evidence, and the Judge took the matter under advisement until filing the bond orders at the jail today.

  • Local News on KCBD.comNewsMore>>

  • NKorea hits Pence 'stupid' remarks, threatens to quit summit

    NKorea hits Pence 'stupid' remarks, threatens to quit summit

    Wednesday, May 23 2018 8:51 PM EDT2018-05-24 00:51:44 GMT
    Thursday, May 24 2018 2:22 AM EDT2018-05-24 06:22:44 GMT
    (AP Photo/Ahn Young-joon). Women protesters stage a rally for peace on the Korea peninsular near U.S. Embassy in Seoul, Wednesday, May 23, 2018. U.S. President Donald Trump labored with South Korea's Moon Jae-in Tuesday to keep the highly anticipated U...(AP Photo/Ahn Young-joon). Women protesters stage a rally for peace on the Korea peninsular near U.S. Embassy in Seoul, Wednesday, May 23, 2018. U.S. President Donald Trump labored with South Korea's Moon Jae-in Tuesday to keep the highly anticipated U...
    A top North Korean official says recent comments by U.S. Vice President Mike Pence were "stupid" and "ignorant" and again warns the country is willing to pull out of a planned summit with Trump.
    A top North Korean official says recent comments by U.S. Vice President Mike Pence were "stupid" and "ignorant" and again warns the country is willing to pull out of a planned summit with Trump.
  • Syria state-run media reports US-led airstrike on army posts

    Syria state-run media reports US-led airstrike on army posts

    Wednesday, May 23 2018 9:11 PM EDT2018-05-24 01:11:43 GMT
    Thursday, May 24 2018 2:22 AM EDT2018-05-24 06:22:36 GMT
    A Pentagon spokesman said there was "no information" to confirm or deny the reports. (Source: Raycom Media)A Pentagon spokesman said there was "no information" to confirm or deny the reports. (Source: Raycom Media)

    Syrian government-run media outlet is reporting that U.S.-led coalition airstrikes have struck Syrian army positions in eastern Syria near the front lines with the Islamic State group.

    Syrian government-run media outlet is reporting that U.S.-led coalition airstrikes have struck Syrian army positions in eastern Syria near the front lines with the Islamic State group.

  • Stylist: Man with Vegas gunman's name talked concert attack

    Stylist: Man with Vegas gunman's name talked concert attack

    Wednesday, May 23 2018 12:08 PM EDT2018-05-23 16:08:03 GMT
    Thursday, May 24 2018 2:04 AM EDT2018-05-24 06:04:26 GMT
    (AP Photo/John Locher, File). FILE - In this Monday, Oct. 2, 2017 file photo, drapes billow out of broken windows at the Mandalay Bay resort and casino on the Las Vegas Strip, following a mass shooting at a music festival in Las Vegas. Police in Las Ve...(AP Photo/John Locher, File). FILE - In this Monday, Oct. 2, 2017 file photo, drapes billow out of broken windows at the Mandalay Bay resort and casino on the Las Vegas Strip, following a mass shooting at a music festival in Las Vegas. Police in Las Ve...

    Police in Las Vegas released documents Wednesday that they said contain dispatch logs and additional officer reports about the investigation into the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history.

    Police in Las Vegas released documents Wednesday that they said contain dispatch logs and additional officer reports about the investigation into the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history.

Powered by Frankly