Sergeant Steven Vidaurre, a Hometown Hero - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Sergeant Steven Vidaurre, a Hometown Hero

Sergeant Steven Vidaurre Sergeant Steven Vidaurre

Sergeant Steven Vidaurre, a Lubbock native, is serving his country with pride after a life of hardship.

Vidaurre joined the human resources division of the Army in late 2004. He began his first tour of duty two years later in Korea. His second was in Afghanistan in 2010. Currently, he is stationed in North Carolina at Fort Bragg.

"I am in a special forces unit. We are the support system for the Green Berets. They are the ones who do all the dirty work. We make sure they are taken care of as far as pay issues. So when they go outside of the wire, they don't have to worry about anything," said Vidaurre.

Life hasn't been easy though. Vidaurre spent most of it in foster care at the Buckner Children's Home. When he graduated from Coronado High School in 1999, he was able to get out on his own. Shortly after, he attended South Plains College.

"There were six houses, four rooms and three beds. So there were twelve kids per house," he said.

Luckily, he wasn't alone. His five siblings had the same path. However, at times, they were separated. So Vidaurre made a friend. Her name was Porsha.

"It wasn't too bad. I met a lot of people. I met my wife there," Vidaurre said.

Before that, Vidaurre and Porsha had not talked to each other in years. It was when he went on his first tour that she wanted to make a mends.

"I didn't want him to get hurt over there and not contact him and say I'm sorry," Porsha said.

When he returned from Korea it was love ever since. The couple married in 2009 right before Vidaurre's second tour.

"It was really hard. I prayed every day that he would be ok and that no harm comes his way. One lady was standing in line in a daze, because her husband got killed. I started crying in line because it touched me and I felt for her," she said.

The distance only made it harder.

"You're 7,000 miles away. Internet connection is bad and trying to get on the phone is worse. It's a delay by two seconds when we are talking. If she is saying something, there's a delay and I think I'm repeating myself," he said.

Through the emotional times the pair grew stronger. The newlyweds welcomed their daughter, Stevannah, the fourth addition to their family.

"She looks exactly like him. So that makes it easier," Porsha said.

A tattoo on Vidaurre's left arm reminds him of her when he's away. It also brings back the memories of how he grew up without parents.

"It was not by coincidence that we went to a children's home that was structured, and then we go on to other things in our lives to leave us up to the military," Porsha said.

It was also fate.

"There is a scripture in Isaiah ‘many will hear the calling, but few are chosen.' I really believe it's him," Porsha said.

Vidaurre is humbled to be called a hometown hero. A title his brother, once separated by foster care, wanted him to have.

"My kids look up to him. He has always been there for me. It's the least I could do for what I have," Marcus Lloyd said.

Sergeant Steven Vidaurre is in Lubbock on vacation. In the near future he will return for his third tour in Afghanistan.

Copyright 2012 KCBD. All rights reserved.

1 student injured in Florida school shooting; suspect in custody

Friday, April 20 2018 9:27 AM EDT2018-04-20 13:27:44 GMT
    Friday, April 20 2018 4:08 PM EDT2018-04-20 20:08:42 GMT

One student was injured in a school shooting at Forest High School in Ocala, FL. Police say the shooter is another student.

FAA orders more engine inspections after Southwest accident

Friday, April 20 2018 4:53 PM EDT2018-04-20 20:53:41 GMT
    Friday, April 20 2018 9:45 PM EDT2018-04-21 01:45:37 GMT
    (NTSB via AP). National Transportation Safety Board investigators examine damage to the engine of the Southwest Airlines plane that made an emergency landing at Philadelphia International Airport in Philadelphia on Tuesday, April 17, 2018. The Southwes...(NTSB via AP). National Transportation Safety Board investigators examine damage to the engine of the Southwest Airlines plane that made an emergency landing at Philadelphia International Airport in Philadelphia on Tuesday, April 17, 2018. The Southwes...
    The manufacturer of the jet engine involved in a fatal Southwest Airlines accident Tuesday wants more jets to be inspected for potential problems.

In new walkouts, students look to turn outrage to action

Friday, April 20 2018 12:26 AM EDT2018-04-20 04:26:49 GMT
    Friday, April 20 2018 9:44 PM EDT2018-04-21 01:44:12 GMT
    (AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster, File). FILE - In this March 14, 2018 file photo, young demonstrators hold a rally in front of the White House in Washington. Another wave of school walkouts is expected as students honor victims of gun violence and push for gu...(AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster, File). FILE - In this March 14, 2018 file photo, young demonstrators hold a rally in front of the White House in Washington. Another wave of school walkouts is expected as students honor victims of gun violence and push for gu...

Another wave of school walkouts is expected as students honor victims of gun violence and push for gun control.