Customers still waiting for claims to be paid from power outage - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Customers still waiting for claims to be paid from power outage

Nearly three weeks after the power outage, Lubbock residents are still waiting for their claims to be paid by LP&L.

The surge of power that resulted when the lightning arrester blew up caused some appliances, such as refrigerators, stoves, and air conditioning units to break, and many residents feel LP&L is at fault.

"Their report was that they took responsibility for it happening, that it was their fault. They took ownership of that and told us steps to do under the impression they would do something," LP&L customer Mitzi Stewart said.

"I've done all that. I've called the city and LP&L and there's no discussion, no decision being made and no efforts to try," Stewart said.

Mitzi says she woke up in the middle of the night when she heard a loud pop. She realized the power had gone out. When it was restored two hours later she tried to turn her fridge back on, but it wouldn't stay cold.

"It would just click on and off - on and off. Everything thawed in my freezer and it never worked again," Mitzi said.

She filled out all the paperwork that LP&L asked of her, and even called in a private company to estimate how much it would cost to fix her fridge, but when she sent a copy of the estimate to LP&L all they said was she would be called when a decision is made.

"I waited, I made phone calls to LP&L and then I still waited," Mitzi said. "Then I got really irritated when I got my LP&L bill and had to pay that, too."

It will cost around $600 to fix Mitzi's fridge, and she's hoping LP&L will give her that money.

"I just hope that they'll reimburse me the cost to fix it, because I will fix it. I will pay my LP&L bill on time and to the penny because they will shut it off without any choice. I will do the right thing and I expect the right thing from them," she said.

KCBD NewsChannel 11 did reach out to LP&L for comment, but have not yet heard back from them. We will update this story when we get a response.

Copyright 2012 KCBD. All rights reserved.

Trump talks new gun measures, gun owners talk 'betrayal'

Saturday, February 24 2018 1:15 AM EST2018-02-24 06:15:31 GMT
    Saturday, February 24 2018 9:26 AM EST2018-02-24 14:26:39 GMT
    (AP Photo/Evan Vucci). In this Feb. 22, 2018, photo, President Donald Trump speaks during a meeting with state and local officials to discuss school safety in the Roosevelt Room of the White House in Washington. Trump could face a backlash from gun rig...(AP Photo/Evan Vucci). In this Feb. 22, 2018, photo, President Donald Trump speaks during a meeting with state and local officials to discuss school safety in the Roosevelt Room of the White House in Washington. Trump could face a backlash from gun rig...
    President Donald Trump could face a backlash from gun rights advocates by voicing support for gun control measures.

Latest Mueller indictment spells trouble for bankers, too

Saturday, February 24 2018 1:05 AM EST2018-02-24 06:05:06 GMT
    Saturday, February 24 2018 9:26 AM EST2018-02-24 14:26:32 GMT
    (AP Photo/Susan Walsh, File). FILE - In this Dec. 11, 2017, file photo, former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort arrives at federal court in Washington. Recently unsealed criminal charges against President Donald Trump’s ex-campaign chairman could ...(AP Photo/Susan Walsh, File). FILE - In this Dec. 11, 2017, file photo, former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort arrives at federal court in Washington. Recently unsealed criminal charges against President Donald Trump’s ex-campaign chairman could ...
    Recently filed federal charges against President Donald Trump's former campaign chairman could also pose legal and regulatory risks for the banks that loaned him millions.

American men win Olympic curling gold, beat Sweden 10-7

Saturday, February 24 2018 6:55 AM EST2018-02-24 11:55:15 GMT
    Saturday, February 24 2018 9:26 AM EST2018-02-24 14:26:10 GMT
    (AP Photo/Natacha Pisarenko). United States's skip John Shuster reacts during the men's final curling match against Sweden at the 2018 Winter Olympics in Gangneung, South Korea, Saturday, Feb. 24, 2018.(AP Photo/Natacha Pisarenko). United States's skip John Shuster reacts during the men's final curling match against Sweden at the 2018 Winter Olympics in Gangneung, South Korea, Saturday, Feb. 24, 2018.

The underdog U.S. men's curling team skipped by John Shuster won the Olympic gold medal with a 10-7 victory over Sweden.