Customers still waiting for claims to be paid from power outage - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Customers still waiting for claims to be paid from power outage

Nearly three weeks after the power outage, Lubbock residents are still waiting for their claims to be paid by LP&L.

The surge of power that resulted when the lightning arrester blew up caused some appliances, such as refrigerators, stoves, and air conditioning units to break, and many residents feel LP&L is at fault.

"Their report was that they took responsibility for it happening, that it was their fault. They took ownership of that and told us steps to do under the impression they would do something," LP&L customer Mitzi Stewart said.

"I've done all that. I've called the city and LP&L and there's no discussion, no decision being made and no efforts to try," Stewart said.

Mitzi says she woke up in the middle of the night when she heard a loud pop. She realized the power had gone out. When it was restored two hours later she tried to turn her fridge back on, but it wouldn't stay cold.

"It would just click on and off - on and off. Everything thawed in my freezer and it never worked again," Mitzi said.

She filled out all the paperwork that LP&L asked of her, and even called in a private company to estimate how much it would cost to fix her fridge, but when she sent a copy of the estimate to LP&L all they said was she would be called when a decision is made.

"I waited, I made phone calls to LP&L and then I still waited," Mitzi said. "Then I got really irritated when I got my LP&L bill and had to pay that, too."

It will cost around $600 to fix Mitzi's fridge, and she's hoping LP&L will give her that money.

"I just hope that they'll reimburse me the cost to fix it, because I will fix it. I will pay my LP&L bill on time and to the penny because they will shut it off without any choice. I will do the right thing and I expect the right thing from them," she said.

KCBD NewsChannel 11 did reach out to LP&L for comment, but have not yet heard back from them. We will update this story when we get a response.

Copyright 2012 KCBD. All rights reserved.

The Latest: Barbara Bush's casket wheeled out of church

Saturday, April 21 2018 10:44 AM EDT2018-04-21 14:44:47 GMT
    Saturday, April 21 2018 2:58 PM EDT2018-04-21 18:58:14 GMT
    (AP Photo/Evan Vucci). Attendees arrive at St. Martin's Episcopal Church for a funeral service for former first lady Barbara Bush, Saturday, April 21, 2018, in Houston.(AP Photo/Evan Vucci). Attendees arrive at St. Martin's Episcopal Church for a funeral service for former first lady Barbara Bush, Saturday, April 21, 2018, in Houston.

Guests have begun to arrive at St. Martin's Church in Houston for the funeral of former first lady Barbara Bush.

Barbara Bush was 'first lady of the greatest generation'

Saturday, April 21 2018 12:04 AM EDT2018-04-21 04:04:04 GMT
    Saturday, April 21 2018 2:57 PM EDT2018-04-21 18:57:58 GMT
    (AP Photo/Evan Vucci). Mourners pause as former U.S. first lady Barbara Bush lies in repose during the visitation of former first lady Barbara Bush at St. Martin's Episcopal Church, Friday, April 20, 2018, in Houston.(AP Photo/Evan Vucci). Mourners pause as former U.S. first lady Barbara Bush lies in repose during the visitation of former first lady Barbara Bush at St. Martin's Episcopal Church, Friday, April 20, 2018, in Houston.

As the outpouring of tributes continues for Barbara Bush, the general public can pay its respects to the former first lady.

Trump says he doesn't think personal lawyer will 'flip'

Saturday, April 21 2018 9:14 AM EDT2018-04-21 13:14:09 GMT
    Saturday, April 21 2018 2:56 PM EDT2018-04-21 18:56:25 GMT
    (AP Photo/Mary Altaffer, File). FILE - In a Monday, April 16, 2018, file photo, Michael Cohen, President Donald Trump's personal attorney, center, leaves federal court, in New York. Federal prosecutors said they can give President Donald Trump's person...(AP Photo/Mary Altaffer, File). FILE - In a Monday, April 16, 2018, file photo, Michael Cohen, President Donald Trump's personal attorney, center, leaves federal court, in New York. Federal prosecutors said they can give President Donald Trump's person...

President Donald Trump says he doesn't expect personal lawyer Michael Cohen to "flip" as the government investigates Cohen's business dealings.