2012 Red Cross Healing Hands Champion Becky Etheredge - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

2012 Red Cross Healing Hands Champion Becky Etheredge

Becky Etheredge Becky Etheredge

For Laura Woods, waking up in the hospital was a major relief for her friends and family. That's because they didn't know if she would even live, in the first place, after suffering cardiac arrest.

"I don't remember anything until I woke up in the hospital," Laura said

While she doesn't remember the events leading up to that, her companion Becky Etheredge does. The pair were at a hotel in San Marcos, visiting family.

"I went to take a shower, three to five minutes later I came out of the shower and she was down in the bed, her lips were blue, non responsive, no pulse, and not breathing," Becky said.

Becky says she thought Laura was dead.

"I shook her, started trying to straighten her up on the bed. I hollered at her nephew and told him to get help and I started CPR," Becky said.

With the help of other family members in the room, Becky performed CPR on Laura. CPR was something Becky had been trained to do for many years, but she says nothing prepared her for having to do it on someone she loved.

"I have had to do CPR on people I didn't know and it was hard. You don't think about it. But, to do CPR on somebody you care that deeply about - it's tough! But, you go into an automatic mode, adrenaline kicks in and you do what you're trained to do," Becky said.

Laura was taken to the hospital, and because of her heart condition, she now wears a pacemaker. She knows it could be much worse, though, and now Becky is much more than her companion. Laura says Becky is her hero.

"She's a good person, she'll give you the shirt off of her back if you need it," Laura said.  "She was there for me when I needed her the most."

Copyright 2012 KCBD. All rights reserved.

Texas man sentenced to 50 years for $1.2M theft of fajitas

Monday, April 23 2018 2:18 PM EDT2018-04-23 18:18:31 GMT
    Thursday, April 26 2018 1:34 PM EDT2018-04-26 17:34:12 GMT
    The Brownsville Herald reports Gilberto Escamilla told the court the fajita scheme spun out of control. (Source: gaudiikari/Wikicommons)The Brownsville Herald reports Gilberto Escamilla told the court the fajita scheme spun out of control. (Source: gaudiikari/Wikicommons)

A Texas man has been sentenced to 50 years in prison for stealing $1.2 million worth of fajitas over nine years.

Dream job: Harley-Davidson paid interns get a motorcycle too

Monday, April 23 2018 9:35 AM EDT2018-04-23 13:35:31 GMT
    Thursday, April 26 2018 1:34 PM EDT2018-04-26 17:34:04 GMT
    Eight college students or recent graduates will have the enviable task of being paid to ride a Harley and share their adventures on social media. (Source: Pixabay)Eight college students or recent graduates will have the enviable task of being paid to ride a Harley and share their adventures on social media. (Source: Pixabay)

Harley-Davidson is offering free motorcycles for those who join its paid summer internship program.

Trump says Cohen represented him in "Stormy Daniels deal"

Thursday, April 26 2018 9:18 AM EDT2018-04-26 13:18:48 GMT
    Thursday, April 26 2018 1:32 PM EDT2018-04-26 17:32:59 GMT
    President Donald Trump says his personal attorney Michael Cohen represents him 'with this crazy Stormy Daniels deal' and that 'from what I see he did absolutely nothing wrong.' (Source: CNN)President Donald Trump says his personal attorney Michael Cohen represents him 'with this crazy Stormy Daniels deal' and that 'from what I see he did absolutely nothing wrong.' (Source: CNN)

President Donald Trump says his personal attorney Michael Cohen represents him "with this crazy Stormy Daniels deal" and that "from what I see he did absolutely nothing wrong."