Police arrest suspect in Jake's shooting - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Police arrest suspect in Jake's shooting

Adrian Deanda, 21 (Source: Lubbock County Sheriff's Office) Adrian Deanda, 21 (Source: Lubbock County Sheriff's Office)

Lubbock police have arrested and charged a suspect in the shooting that took place at Jake's, 5025 50th Street, early Saturday morning.

Police arrested a suspect in this shooting on Saturday afternoon. Adrian Deanda, 21, was arrested on unrelated charges Saturday afternoon. On Monday, Deanda was charged with aggravated assault, theft of a firearm and a felon in possession of a firearm.

Police say Deanda got into an argument and got his gun from a friend who was carrying it in her purse.

Police say Deanda then opened fire inside the bar and injured 30-year-old Danny Hernandez and his wife, 34-year-old Jennifer Pauda. Police say he also shot 30-year-old Brian Burnett in the parking lot.

No one sustained life-threatening injuries and all three are now recovering.

As of Monday, Deanda remains in jail on a $100,000 dollar bond.

Jake's manager John Edwards described the incident: 

"There was an altercation in the game room at the back of the bar. A male Hispanic fired a couple of shots, left by the back door, came outside - fired a couple more shots. Two people were injured inside the bar. There was another gentleman that was out front here trying to get to his vehicle...and he was shot in the arm.

"There was a black pickup truck that pulled up front. The shooter was out here still firing shots, the pickup truck pulled up and a female got out of the pickup and told the shooter to get inside the truck, which he did, and they left going east on 50th," Edwards said.

"Our manager that was on duty got everybody that remained in the building. He put most of the people in the back room where we have our music venues and told them to stay in there to keep people from going out to where shots were being fired after the suspect left the building."

"He kept everybody in there and kept them calm," Edwards said.

After they got a description of the car and shooter they relayed it to one of the bouncers who notified the police.

Edwards and the night manager were not specifically trained to deal with this kind of event, but they both had prior military experience.

An eyewitness who asked KCBD.com to not publish his name said he was coming out of the bathroom a little after 2 a.m. when the managers of Jake's started yelling for people to leave. 

The witness said, "We were running to the door. Then I heard four gunshots in parking lot."

So he and his girlfriend changed directions and ran back toward the bathrooms. He says they were intercepted by a manager.

"The manager put us in a back room and locked the door until the cops got there. We just had to sit there and wait," he said.

Meanwhile, his friends were out in the parking lot. "They say they saw one person that looked like he was shot."  

The eyewitness said he saw a man inside that also looked like he had been shot, perhaps a bullet grazing him across the chest.

"I thought it was a killing spree for a moment," the witness said.

Edwards says Jake's is "not a bad place."

He says, "Something like this could happen anywhere; it's just tragic that it happens at all. It's not something that Jake's has done to make it happen, it just happened here. We just want to let people know that we're doing everything we can do to keep our patrons safe."

Copyright 2012 KCBD.  All rights reserved.
Powered by Frankly