2012 Red Cross Adult Champion Mike Redeker - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

2012 Red Cross Adult Champion Mike Redeker

Mike Redeker Mike Redeker

Mike Redeker says he never wanted to be a hero. He says he never considered himself one, even after he saved the life of LaDon Madden in August.

"You don't really stop and think in a situation like that. The only recollection I had was two words: Get there," Redeker said.

Redeker's act of heroism occurred during a car accident at the intersection of 82nd and Quaker. Police say Madden was in the wrong place at the wrong time when the driver of an SUV ran a red light and slammed into her car. Redeker was a few cars behind Madden and saw the whole thing happen.

"It exploded on impact. That's how severe the collision was. There was a fireball that went up," Redeker said.

Without even thinking, Redeker jumped out of his car and ran to Madden. Through the smoke and flames, he pulled her out of the car, saving her life.

"Everybody that I know would have done the same thing. I don't know anybody that would have pulled up to an accident and saw a car on fire and saw a girl screaming for help, and just stood there. I don't think it's humanly possible to do that," Redeker said.

Madden was taken to the hospital with serious injuries, but will recover. Redeker says he believes God was watching over him.

"There is just no way she was not hurt any worse than she was and no way that I got out of that without a scratch," Redeker said.

While Mike doesn't like being called a hero, he says he believes being able to help Madden was in God's plan.

"I had a heart attack in December and after I had my heart attack, I was wondering why I was still here. My wife sent me an email after the fact and said, 'Well, I guess you know the answer now,'" Redeker said.

Copyright 2012 KCBD. All rights reserved.

Back home after foreign trip, Trump faces slew of challenges

Sunday, May 28 2017 8:26 AM EDT2017-05-28 12:26:49 GMT
    Sunday, May 28 2017 8:28 AM EDT2017-05-28 12:28:04 GMT

Trump faces a slew of political and policy challenges at home and intensifying inquiries into allegations his campaign had contacts with Russian officials before he entered the White House.

Trump's trip: Conventional images and unconventional talk

Sunday, May 28 2017 8:26 AM EDT2017-05-28 12:26:44 GMT
    Sunday, May 28 2017 8:28 AM EDT2017-05-28 12:28:00 GMT

President Donald Trump will return to Washington having rattled some allies and reassured others, but his White House still sits under a cloud of scandal.

Trump makes G-7 deal on trade, takes rain check on climate

Sunday, May 28 2017 8:26 AM EDT2017-05-28 12:26:27 GMT
    Sunday, May 28 2017 8:26 AM EDT2017-05-28 12:26:27 GMT

A source at the Group of Seven summit says the seven wealthy democracies have reached a deal to give the Trump administration time to tell them whether the United States plans to stay in the Paris climate agreement.