Marathon Couple runs on the power of beef - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Marathon Couple runs on the power of beef

The first ever Panhandle Marathon was held in Lubbock Sunday morning. The runners included a husband and wife team from New Braunfels who say they are addicted to running.

Steven Holehan and Parvaneh Moayevi call themselves the "Marathon Couple" and for them, running isn't just a hobby - it's a lifestyle.

"if I don't run I feel like I'm missing something," Parvaneh said.

"We've traveled almost everywhere in the world. We have finished a marathon in all 50 states and DC and all 7 continents. We also climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro, which was one of my childhood dreams," Parvaneh said.

In the past 13 years, they have completed over 500 marathons combined, with plans for many more.

"My goal this year is to try and do at least 52 marathons," Steven said.

"I'm shooting for 70. That's on my schedule. Hopefully if I don't get any injuries I can reach it," Parvaneh said.

Besides traditional marathons, she has competed in a handful of 100-mile races and next year hopes to compete in the Badwater Ultramarathon.

"I am qualified to run bad weather, which is 135 miles in 135 degrees from Mojave desert to Mount Whitney and it's in June,  July time frame which is the hottest time of the year," she said.

But what is it that allows them to do so well? Steven and Parvaneh give credit to their high protein beef diet.

"It keeps us moving, it helps repair muscles quicker, it keeps your mind more focused on what you're doing - just keeps you going," said Steven.

Parvaneh added, "I start my marathons with a small portion of pasta load, small portion of beef and pasta and after marathon I always have beef."

They acknowledge that although they love running, for a lot of people it's tough to get started. However they have some advice.

"Get out there and do it start out walking, start out running from telephone pole to telephone pole, just whatever it takes get off the couch and get out there," Parvenah said.

The Panhandle Marathon was number 38 out of 70 for Parvenah who plans to do four marathons in four days right after Thanksgiving.

Copyright 2012 KCBD. All rights reserved.

Facebook to release Russia ads, beef up election 'integrity'

Thursday, September 21 2017 3:55 PM EDT2017-09-21 19:55:51 GMT
    Friday, September 22 2017 4:09 AM EDT2017-09-22 08:09:10 GMT

Facebook says it will release the Russia-backed, potentially illegal election ads that ran on its platform to congressional investigators.

Mueller investigators seek documents from the White House

Thursday, September 21 2017 4:15 AM EDT2017-09-21 08:15:50 GMT
    Friday, September 22 2017 4:09 AM EDT2017-09-22 08:09:07 GMT

Though the full scope of the investigation is not clear, the information requests make evident at least some of the areas that Mueller and his team of prosecutors intend to look into and also reveal a strong interest in certain of Trump's actions as president.

Powerless: Puerto Rico faces weeks without electricity

Thursday, September 21 2017 3:46 AM EDT2017-09-21 07:46:11 GMT
    Friday, September 22 2017 4:07 AM EDT2017-09-22 08:07:41 GMT

Maria hit the island Wednesday morning as a Category 4 storm with 155 mph winds, the strongest hurricane to hit Puerto Rico in over 80 years.