10-year old cancer fighter meets his Red Raider hero - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

10-year old cancer fighter meets his Red Raider hero

Seth Doege and Myles Galvan Seth Doege and Myles Galvan

10-year-old Myles Galvan of Shallowater was speechless Monday as met his hero, Texas Tech quarterback Seth Doege. Galvan has just finished his final rounds of chemotherapy to treat his leukemia.

"I'm honored and I feel blessed that I'm in a position to make dreams come true," Doege said.

Galvan was diagnosed in 2009 and has battled the cancer for three years. He is now in remission, and what better way to celebrate than to meet his hero? Galvan has been a Red Raider fan since birth and looks up to Doege. When his doctors at the Texas Tech Health Sciences Center found out, they arranged the meeting.

"I was jacked up, I couldn't wait. I'm glad to meet him," Doege said.

After the football news conference, Doege signed a jersey and football for Galvan and tossed around the pigskin with him. He admits he was nervous about meeting Doege, but he instantly made him feel at ease. Mercedes Day is a Nurse Practitioner at the Texas Tech Health Sciences Center, she's thankful for Doege's gesture.

"It made Myles feel really comfortable, I could tell, when he was around Seth," Day said.

Doege said Galvan was one of the most courageous kids he had ever met. He says it's still surreal for him that kids like Myles look up to him.

"I was that kid at a certain age that looked up to the Texas Tech quarterback, just like he did. Myles reminds me of myself when I was star struck by these guys," Doege said.

Galvan, who hopes to play college football one day, soaked up all the advice he could from Doege.

"I didn't have to give him much advice because he's been through it all. He's been through a lot more than I have," Doege said.

As star struck as Galvan was with his role model, Doege says the ten year old's accomplishments are far greater than anything he's done on the field.

"I told him I looked up to him. Strong kid. One of the strongest I've met," Doege said.

"He's ten and there's a lot of kids that will never go through what he went through. His treatment has been going on for a long time and he's a fighter," Day said.

Surely a day to remember for this boy who defeated the one thing that should have defeated him.

Copyright 2012 KCBD. All rights reserved.

Teen fulfills childhood promise by taking mom to prom

Thursday, April 19 2018 5:10 AM EDT2018-04-19 09:10:44 GMT
    Thursday, April 19 2018 5:10 AM EDT2018-04-19 09:10:44 GMT
    The high school senior’s mother dropped out of school at 17 to raise him, so he wanted to thank her for all the sacrifices she made. (Source: Hayley Mechelle/Flickr)The high school senior’s mother dropped out of school at 17 to raise him, so he wanted to thank her for all the sacrifices she made. (Source: Hayley Mechelle/Flickr)

The senior kept a promise from middle school by taking his mom to prom because she missed her own dance when she dropped out to raise him.

FAA orders fan blade inspections after jet engine explosion

Thursday, April 19 2018 1:02 AM EDT2018-04-19 05:02:22 GMT
    Thursday, April 19 2018 5:03 AM EDT2018-04-19 09:03:42 GMT
    (NTSB via AP). National Transportation Safety Board investigators examine damage to the engine of the Southwest Airlines plane that made an emergency landing at Philadelphia International Airport in Philadelphia on Tuesday, April 17, 2018. The Southwes...(NTSB via AP). National Transportation Safety Board investigators examine damage to the engine of the Southwest Airlines plane that made an emergency landing at Philadelphia International Airport in Philadelphia on Tuesday, April 17, 2018. The Southwes...

The Federal Aviation Administration's announcement late Wednesday comes nearly a year after the engine's manufacturer recommended the additional inspections, and a month after European regulators ordered their airlines to do the work.

Substitute teacher saves teens from sex offender

Thursday, April 19 2018 12:33 AM EDT2018-04-19 04:33:23 GMT
    Thursday, April 19 2018 1:39 AM EDT2018-04-19 05:39:27 GMT

The man reportedly told two teenagers he didn’t have a problem having sex with juveniles, as long as it was “consensual.”