10-year old cancer fighter meets his Red Raider hero - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

10-year old cancer fighter meets his Red Raider hero

Seth Doege and Myles Galvan Seth Doege and Myles Galvan

10-year-old Myles Galvan of Shallowater was speechless Monday as met his hero, Texas Tech quarterback Seth Doege. Galvan has just finished his final rounds of chemotherapy to treat his leukemia.

"I'm honored and I feel blessed that I'm in a position to make dreams come true," Doege said.

Galvan was diagnosed in 2009 and has battled the cancer for three years. He is now in remission, and what better way to celebrate than to meet his hero? Galvan has been a Red Raider fan since birth and looks up to Doege. When his doctors at the Texas Tech Health Sciences Center found out, they arranged the meeting.

"I was jacked up, I couldn't wait. I'm glad to meet him," Doege said.

After the football news conference, Doege signed a jersey and football for Galvan and tossed around the pigskin with him. He admits he was nervous about meeting Doege, but he instantly made him feel at ease. Mercedes Day is a Nurse Practitioner at the Texas Tech Health Sciences Center, she's thankful for Doege's gesture.

"It made Myles feel really comfortable, I could tell, when he was around Seth," Day said.

Doege said Galvan was one of the most courageous kids he had ever met. He says it's still surreal for him that kids like Myles look up to him.

"I was that kid at a certain age that looked up to the Texas Tech quarterback, just like he did. Myles reminds me of myself when I was star struck by these guys," Doege said.

Galvan, who hopes to play college football one day, soaked up all the advice he could from Doege.

"I didn't have to give him much advice because he's been through it all. He's been through a lot more than I have," Doege said.

As star struck as Galvan was with his role model, Doege says the ten year old's accomplishments are far greater than anything he's done on the field.

"I told him I looked up to him. Strong kid. One of the strongest I've met," Doege said.

"He's ten and there's a lot of kids that will never go through what he went through. His treatment has been going on for a long time and he's a fighter," Day said.

Surely a day to remember for this boy who defeated the one thing that should have defeated him.

Copyright 2012 KCBD. All rights reserved.

GOP struggles to salvage immigration bill, postpones vote

Thursday, June 21 2018 12:41 AM EDT2018-06-21 04:41:36 GMT
    Saturday, June 23 2018 7:56 AM EDT2018-06-23 11:56:07 GMT
    (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite). Speaker of the House Paul Ryan, R-Wis., joined by House Majority Whip Steve Scalise, R-La., left, and House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Kevin Brady, R-Texas, talks following a closed-door conference with fellow Rep...(AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite). Speaker of the House Paul Ryan, R-Wis., joined by House Majority Whip Steve Scalise, R-La., left, and House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Kevin Brady, R-Texas, talks following a closed-door conference with fellow Rep...

An ambitious House GOP immigration overhaul is teetering ahead of voting.

An ambitious House GOP immigration overhaul is teetering ahead of voting.

Plans unclear for reuniting separated immigrant children

Friday, June 22 2018 6:06 AM EDT2018-06-22 10:06:01 GMT
    Saturday, June 23 2018 7:54 AM EDT2018-06-23 11:54:51 GMT
    (AP Photo/David J. Phillip). Jesus Funes, 19-months, cries as his mother, Diva Funes, both immigrants from Honduras, holds him after being escorted back to Reynosa, Mexico, Thursday, June 21, 2018. The family, who was seeking asylum, said they were tol...(AP Photo/David J. Phillip). Jesus Funes, 19-months, cries as his mother, Diva Funes, both immigrants from Honduras, holds him after being escorted back to Reynosa, Mexico, Thursday, June 21, 2018. The family, who was seeking asylum, said they were tol...

About 500 of the more than 2,300 children separated from their families at the border have been reunited since May, a senior Trump administration official says.

In reversal, Trump orders halt to his family separation rule

Wednesday, June 20 2018 11:21 AM EDT2018-06-20 15:21:21 GMT
    Saturday, June 23 2018 7:53 AM EDT2018-06-23 11:53:52 GMT
    A boy stares out of a heavily tinted bus window leaving a U.S. Customs and Border Protection facility Tuesday in McAllen, TX. (AP Photo/Eric Gay)A boy stares out of a heavily tinted bus window leaving a U.S. Customs and Border Protection facility Tuesday in McAllen, TX. (AP Photo/Eric Gay)

Trump signs executive order to keep families together at border, says 'zero-tolerance' prosecution policy will continue.