10-year old cancer fighter meets his Red Raider hero - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

10-year old cancer fighter meets his Red Raider hero

Seth Doege and Myles Galvan Seth Doege and Myles Galvan

10-year-old Myles Galvan of Shallowater was speechless Monday as met his hero, Texas Tech quarterback Seth Doege. Galvan has just finished his final rounds of chemotherapy to treat his leukemia.

"I'm honored and I feel blessed that I'm in a position to make dreams come true," Doege said.

Galvan was diagnosed in 2009 and has battled the cancer for three years. He is now in remission, and what better way to celebrate than to meet his hero? Galvan has been a Red Raider fan since birth and looks up to Doege. When his doctors at the Texas Tech Health Sciences Center found out, they arranged the meeting.

"I was jacked up, I couldn't wait. I'm glad to meet him," Doege said.

After the football news conference, Doege signed a jersey and football for Galvan and tossed around the pigskin with him. He admits he was nervous about meeting Doege, but he instantly made him feel at ease. Mercedes Day is a Nurse Practitioner at the Texas Tech Health Sciences Center, she's thankful for Doege's gesture.

"It made Myles feel really comfortable, I could tell, when he was around Seth," Day said.

Doege said Galvan was one of the most courageous kids he had ever met. He says it's still surreal for him that kids like Myles look up to him.

"I was that kid at a certain age that looked up to the Texas Tech quarterback, just like he did. Myles reminds me of myself when I was star struck by these guys," Doege said.

Galvan, who hopes to play college football one day, soaked up all the advice he could from Doege.

"I didn't have to give him much advice because he's been through it all. He's been through a lot more than I have," Doege said.

As star struck as Galvan was with his role model, Doege says the ten year old's accomplishments are far greater than anything he's done on the field.

"I told him I looked up to him. Strong kid. One of the strongest I've met," Doege said.

"He's ten and there's a lot of kids that will never go through what he went through. His treatment has been going on for a long time and he's a fighter," Day said.

Surely a day to remember for this boy who defeated the one thing that should have defeated him.

Copyright 2012 KCBD. All rights reserved.

Macy's parade rolls on with balloons, bands, security

Thursday, November 23 2017 12:32 AM EST2017-11-23 05:32:23 GMT
    Thursday, November 23 2017 12:02 PM EST2017-11-23 17:02:56 GMT

The parade will feature heavy security, including officers with assault weapons and portable radiation detectors, sharpshooters on rooftops and sand-filled city sanitation trucks poised as barriers to traffic.

Pro-Roy Moore group fundraises off Trump's near endorsement

Wednesday, November 22 2017 3:12 AM EST2017-11-22 08:12:08 GMT
    Thursday, November 23 2017 11:54 AM EST2017-11-23 16:54:27 GMT

Trump, who won election despite facing more than a dozen accusations of sexual misconduct himself, is discounting accusations of sexual misconduct against Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore, telling voters not to support his "liberal" rival.

Report: Barton said he'd go to Capitol Police over photo

Thursday, November 23 2017 1:12 AM EST2017-11-23 06:12:14 GMT
    Thursday, November 23 2017 11:54 AM EST2017-11-23 16:54:11 GMT

A published report says U.S. Rep. Joe Barton of Texas told a woman to whom he had sent sexually explicit photos, videos and messages that he would report her to U.S. Capitol Police for exposing his behavior.