Dunbar Middle School put on lockdown - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Dunbar Middle School put on lockdown

LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) -

Lubbock ISD officials say Dunbar Middle School was put on lockdown Wednesday after a woman was spotted in the neighborhood carrying a rifle.

LISD spokeswoman Nancy Sharp says the lockdown only lasted about ten minutes and that the woman was never on campus. She says the reason Wheatley Elementary, just a block away, was not put on lock down was because the students had been dismissed about 45 minutes earlier.

Right now it's unknown if the rifle was loaded. According to police, she was not arrested but was taken in for a mental evaluation.  Police did not know if the woman lived in the area or why she was carrying the gun.

In light of the recent Sandy Hook Elementary shootings, Sharp says they take things like this very seriously and their priority is the student's safety.

Copyright 2012 KCBD. All rights reserved.

  • Local News on KCBD.comNewsMore>>

  • Trump urges House GOP to move quickly on budget, tax cuts

    Trump urges House GOP to move quickly on budget, tax cuts

    Sunday, October 22 2017 11:33 AM EDT2017-10-22 15:33:35 GMT
    Sunday, October 22 2017 10:14 PM EDT2017-10-23 02:14:11 GMT

    Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell says that he's willing to bring bipartisan health care legislation to the floor if the president makes clear he supports it.

    Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell says that he's willing to bring bipartisan health care legislation to the floor if the president makes clear he supports it.

  • Fox renewed O'Reilly contract despite knowing of allegations

    Fox renewed O'Reilly contract despite knowing of allegations

    Saturday, October 21 2017 4:43 PM EDT2017-10-21 20:43:05 GMT
    Sunday, October 22 2017 10:34 PM EDT2017-10-23 02:34:15 GMT

    Fox knew of sexual harassment allegations against Bill O'Reilly when it renewed host's contract in February months before ousting him.

    Fox knew of sexual harassment allegations against Bill O'Reilly when it renewed host's contract in February months before ousting him.

  • Judge tosses $417M award against Johnson & Johnson

    Judge tosses $417M award against Johnson & Johnson

    Friday, October 20 2017 10:32 PM EDT2017-10-21 02:32:33 GMT
    Sunday, October 22 2017 10:34 PM EDT2017-10-23 02:34:06 GMT

    A Los Angeles judge has tossed out a $417 million jury award to a woman who claimed she developed ovarian cancer by using Johnson & Johnson baby powder for feminine hygiene.

    A Los Angeles judge has tossed out a $417 million jury award to a woman who claimed she developed ovarian cancer by using Johnson & Johnson baby powder for feminine hygiene.

Powered by Frankly