Rodent droppings at a Mexican food restaurant and molded fruit at another are just some of the many violations health inspectors found while checking out the cleanliness of local kitchens.
We have a long buffet of restaurants on the menu tonight including 21 top performers and 2 that landed at the bottom.
That's where we begin.
First on the list is Los Tacos at 3501 Ave. A.
They were cited for seven critical violations.
* Inspectors say there was evidence of rodents. They found droppings throughout the dry storage area.
* Food was not being cooled properly.
* Ready to eat foods did not have the correct date-mark.
* An employee was not wearing gloves while handling chips.
* The microwave was dirty.
* Toxic item did not have a label.
* A food container was in a hand sink.
Management tells us everything was fixed "on the spot."
The report shows that all violations were corrected while the inspector was there.
And Burrito King at 1620 Ave. Q also had seven critical violations.
* Several cold foods were not 41 degrees or below.
* Hot items were not 135 degrees or above.
* Limes were molded, avocados were sunken in and lengua had a rancid smell.
* Employees did not wash their hands before putting on their gloves.
* Employees were not wearing gloves while making burritos
* Soda nozzles and kitchen utensils were dirty.
* The inspector notes that the manager did not demonstrate food safety knowledge.
Management tells us all violations were corrected during the inspection.
The report shows that as well.
Copyright 2013 KCBD. All rights reserved.