A Sunday morning fire in the 1500 block of East 15th street has left two families, ten people total, displaced after their home was destroyed.
American Red Cross Volunteer Bill Curnow told us they provided six adults and four children with money for food and clothing and will be providing the families with a hotel room for three nights.
"It's not a lot of time, but hopefully it's enough time for them to figure out what the next step is and make other arrangements," Curnow said. "Since Friday morning, we've responded to three fires with four families - two in Lubbock and one in Muleshoe. We assisted a total of 9 adults and 9 children, all providing them with shelter and assistance so they can provide food and clothing for themselves."
Deputy Fire Marshall Robert Loveless told us the fire started when an electric heater was placed too close to a bed in the front bedroom. He said there needs to be at least three feet of space between a heater and any objects that may catch on fire. Loveless said the house didn't have a single working smoke detector and reminded everyone to make sure to double check that their own.
Four people were taken to the hospital. Two went to UMC with minor burns and two went to Covenant for smoke inhalation. Everyone has been released as of Sunday night.
Copyright 2013 KCBD. All rights reserved.