Dangers of accidentally overdosing on home treatments - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Dangers of accidentally overdosing on home treatments

Posted: Updated:

"You're trying to get well. And so you're drinking the liquid that had antihistamine in it and you're taking the pills that had antihistamine in it and you're taking something to dry you up too and it's just kind of like an overdose of the medication," said patient Minnie Wilson.

If you're down with the flu, and that sounds familiar, it is a big concern that you could be overdosing on the treatments in your own medical cabinet.  Pharmacists will tell you it happens a lot.  As this year's flu rages, the Poison Control Center is hearing from many more people who accidentally overdosing on home treatments.

Dr. Kapio Sharma from the PCC said, "The tendency for a lot of folks is to think if sometimes a little bit of medication helps, more is better and that can sometime be dangerous."   And pharmacist Donna Barsky stated, "They're running a temperature, so they're already taking acetaminophen, or they're taking aspirin. But most people take acetaminophen. The acetaminophen is a great product, except it's in everything. And when they start doubling up on this, it can do some really damage to your liver."

Remember, what you buy over the counter is safe to use as directed, but some drug combinations can be lethal.  If you develop symptoms that include dry mouth and blurry vision or feeling your heart race and being out of breath, you need to see a doctor.

Copyright 2013 KCBD. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

5600 Avenue A
Lubbock, TX. 79404

FCC Public File
publicfile@kcbd.com
806-744-1414
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KCBD. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.