Cockroaches in the kitchen; that's just one of the many violations health inspectors found inside Lubbock restaurants this week.
We begin in the kitchen of Hong Kong at 4845 50th Street. That's where inspectors found a live roach. That was just one of their 11 violations:
* Cold foods should be 41 degrees or below. Several items were above the safe cold temperature.
* A scrubbing pad was in a hand sink. Personal items were touching clean dishes.
* Several cans were sharply dented.
* Raw shrimp was stored above ready to eat vegetables. Cooked ribs were in direct contact with the bottom of metal storage pans.
* Crab salad, cooked fish and cooked ribs did not have a date mark.
* A sanitizer was not strong enough. Several spray bottles did not have a label.
* The dish wash machine was not sanitizing.
* There was no thermometer in a cooler.
* The microwave and other kitchen areas were dirty.
* The manager's food safety certification is expired.
The inspector notes - citations may be issued for each violations not in compliance and future repeat violations.
Next we head to Lin's Buffet at 5608 Slide. They were cited for nine critical violations:
* Several cold foods were above the safe temperature of 41 degrees.
* Uncovered drinks were next to the food prep table. The hand wash sink was dirty.
* There was no hot water at a hand sink.
* There were no towels at a hand sink.
* Access to a hand sink was blocked.
* There was heavy ice condensation on boxes of shrimp.
* The labels on toxic items were illegible.
* Several kitchen utensils were dirty or broken.
* The manager's food safety certification expired last October.
Both reports show most violations were corrected during the inspection.
RELATED: Food for Thought Report: 1.31
Copyright 2013 KCBD. All rights reserved.