Anton ISD all clear after bomb scare - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Anton ISD all clear after bomb scare

Posted: Updated:
LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) -

Students and faculty were evacuated from Anton ISD Wednesday morning after receiving a bomb threat. Around 8:30 a.m., area law enforcement including Anton PD, Hockley County Sheriff and Lubbock County Bomb Squad responded to the scene and declared the district all clear of a threat by 11:00 a.m. 

Nearly 260 students were escorted to the football field before being taken by bus to a local church. Parents had the opportunity to pick them up once the school canceled classes for the rest of the day.

According to students, the threat gave them quite a scare.

"We were just learning about math in class and we heard our principal say that there was a bomb and we started rushing out," 3rd grader Damien Reyna said.

Superintendent Jim Knight said he was very proud of his district's response, especially since no practice drills had been performed. And parents were happy too, applauding the district for their quick response time and organization of the evacuation.

"I think they handled it pretty well. I think it could've been parents running wild all over town trying to get their kids. I understand. That's my first instinct, to get to them but I figure they're safer there at the school. The school knows what to do," said Anton ISD parent Regina Reyna.

She stated that she only wanted one thing when she saw her children.

"I wanted to give them all a big hug, my kids, my nieces and nephews and anybody else that I see I'm just going to hug them and say I'm glad you're safe."

Copyright 2013 KCBD. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

5600 Avenue A
Lubbock, TX. 79404

FCC Public File
publicfile@kcbd.com
806-744-1414
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KCBD. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.