Suspects in Tuesday's police chase, shooting await sentencing - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Suspects in Tuesday's police chase, shooting await sentencing

Roberto Rivera Roberto Rivera
Shelly Blair Shelly Blair
LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) -

Two suspects involved in a high-speed police chase and shooting in south Lubbock County are still behind bars in Slaton but will be transported to the Lubbock County jail Thursday.

Lubbock County Sheriff's deputies and Slaton police arrested Roberto Rivera, 30, around 1:00 a.m. Wednesday at a home at 49th Street and Avenue X.

Slaton Chief of Police, Steve Wheeler, says the chase began during an attempted traffic stop around 8:00 p.m. That's when police say the female driver, Shelly Blair, 42, took off and started driving at a speed of up to 95 mph. Blair then drove through a stop sign and Rivera began firing shots at the pursuing officers.

The chase ended around 9:00 p.m. in a field on Woodrow Road between University and Indiana Avenue. Officers arrested Blair at the scene while Rivera escaped and fled on foot.

DPS troopers, Slaton PD, LSO K-9 units and a DPS helicopter all assisted in the search for Rivera.

Policed found the gun, which Rivera threw out of the vehicle at the scene where Blair was arrested. Blair has a long list of priors, including charges for theft and forgery. Rivera also has an extensive criminal background involving kidnapping, burglary and drug charges.

Wheeler said there could be a number of reasons why the pair fled. He told us that there was an LPD warrant out on Rivera and he and Blair were both felons in possession of a firearm.  

The two suspects are being charged with evading arrest. Rivera is also facing the charge of felon in possession of a firearm and, according to Wheeler, could possibly face more.

Wheeler stated the possibility that when the firearm flew out of the vehicle, it hit a patrol car, causing the shots to fire. He said if that is the case, then the pair would also be charged with deadly conduct. 

Wheeler said Rivera will be booked for his outstanding warrant until the investigation is complete and then they will file additional charges with Lubbock District Attorney, Matt Powell.

Area residents said they were taken aback by everything that happened and it was all too close for comfort. According to residents near the scene, they immediately locked their doors and one woman said she and her husband loaded up their guns in preparation to defend themselves.  

Copyright 2013 KCBD. All rights reserved.

  • Local News on KCBD.comNewsMore>>

  • LP&L officials explain introduction of new smart meters

    LP&L officials explain introduction of new smart meters

    Wednesday, June 20 2018 12:00 AM EDT2018-06-20 04:00:52 GMT

    Last week the Lubbock City Council approved the plan for Lubbock Power & Light to move forward with their switch to advanced, or smart, meters.

    Last week the Lubbock City Council approved the plan for Lubbock Power & Light to move forward with their switch to advanced, or smart, meters.

  • Trump administration pulls US out of UN human rights council

    Trump administration pulls US out of UN human rights council

    Tuesday, June 19 2018 12:00 PM EDT2018-06-19 16:00:59 GMT
    Tuesday, June 19 2018 11:52 PM EDT2018-06-20 03:52:26 GMT
    (Salvatore Di Nolfi/Keystone via AP, File). FILE - This is a Tuesday, Nov. 8, 2008 file photo, showing a general view of the Human Rights Room (Room XX) at the European headquarters of the United Nations in Geneva, Switzerland. Diplomats say the United...(Salvatore Di Nolfi/Keystone via AP, File). FILE - This is a Tuesday, Nov. 8, 2008 file photo, showing a general view of the Human Rights Room (Room XX) at the European headquarters of the United Nations in Geneva, Switzerland. Diplomats say the United...
    The Trump administration is poised to announce its departure from the United Nations' main human rights body in its latest withdrawal from an international institution.
    The Trump administration is poised to announce its departure from the United Nations' main human rights body in its latest withdrawal from an international institution.
  • Trump raises risk of economically harmful US-China trade war

    Trump raises risk of economically harmful US-China trade war

    Tuesday, June 19 2018 12:20 AM EDT2018-06-19 04:20:31 GMT
    Tuesday, June 19 2018 11:51 PM EDT2018-06-20 03:51:25 GMT
    President Donald Trump gestures as he signs a "Space Policy Directive" during a meeting of the National Space Council in the East Room of the White House, Monday, June 18, 2018, in Washington, as Vice President Mike Pence watches.  AP Photo/Susan Walsh)President Donald Trump gestures as he signs a "Space Policy Directive" during a meeting of the National Space Council in the East Room of the White House, Monday, June 18, 2018, in Washington, as Vice President Mike Pence watches. AP Photo/Susan Walsh)

    A new 10 percent tariff on $200 billion in Chinese imports is being threatened by Trump in the latest move toward what could become a trade war.

    A new 10 percent tariff on $200 billion in Chinese imports is being threatened by Trump in the latest move toward what could become a trade war.

Powered by Frankly