Carbon Monoxide Scare for Lubbock Neighborhood - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

8/5/04

Carbon Monoxide Scare for Lubbock Neighborhood

It's an odorless, colorless killer and on Thursday it was lurking at a day care and an apartment complex. But thanks to a carbon monoxide detector, everyone escaped safely.

Around 9:45 Thursday morning, a carbon monoxide detector indicated high levels in the area. "We've got carbon monoxide units throughout the building and when they beep you get out, they beeped and they got the kids out," said Gail Aleman, LCAA Director.

Minutes later the fire department arrived and evacuated the complex at 50th and Chicago, which included an E-Z Mart, Briteway Cleaners, a daycare and 18 apartments. "I just came back and they were all in my apartment and everywhere so," said resident Brian George.

"They was just buzzing and I thought maybe it was a maintenance guy so I was like 'Ok I'm coming' and the next thing I know is I see a big firefighter and he says he has to come in because we have CO in the building," Patricia Walker, a resident said.

According to fire officials a boiler in the center of the complex had a broken vent, and a deteriorated top that was leaking carbon monoxide throughout the complex. All residents and businesses were instructed to open their doors and windows for circulation.

The kids from the daycare walked down to the park, and EMS checked them out.

Within two hours of the original call workers brought in a boiler to replace the old one to avoid any other problems or needed repairs for the future.

In this instance having a carbon monoxide detector was a life saver. "During the winter that's when we have most of the fires, and most are caused by using some type of heating type of equipment which is fossil fuels but during the summer we use those also with our water heaters," says Marlin Hamilton, Assistant Fire Chief.

So fire officials say if your home or business isn't strictly electric, you need a carbon monoxide detector.

Carbon monoxide detectors are not the same as smoke detectors, but you can get a dual unit, a CO detector costs between $30 and $70.

The Fire Marshall's office says the LCAA daycare should be commended for their effective and efficient escape plan. Three people were transported to a hospital from the scene, but they were all treated and released.

  • Local News on KCBD.comNewsMore>>

  • Olympic gymnastics ex-doctor pleads guilty to sex charges

    Olympic gymnastics ex-doctor pleads guilty to sex charges

    Wednesday, November 22 2017 1:51 AM EST2017-11-22 06:51:40 GMT
    Thursday, November 23 2017 11:04 PM EST2017-11-24 04:04:01 GMT

    Olympic gymnasts Aly Raisman, McKayla Maroney and Gabby Douglas are among the women who have publicly said they were among the doctor's victims.

    Olympic gymnasts Aly Raisman, McKayla Maroney and Gabby Douglas are among the women who have publicly said they were among the doctor's victims.

  • Macy's Thanksgiving parade revels on amid tight security

    Macy's Thanksgiving parade revels on amid tight security

    Thursday, November 23 2017 12:32 AM EST2017-11-23 05:32:23 GMT
    Thursday, November 23 2017 11:03 PM EST2017-11-24 04:03:34 GMT

    The parade will feature heavy security, including officers with assault weapons and portable radiation detectors, sharpshooters on rooftops and sand-filled city sanitation trucks poised as barriers to traffic.

    The parade will feature heavy security, including officers with assault weapons and portable radiation detectors, sharpshooters on rooftops and sand-filled city sanitation trucks poised as barriers to traffic.

  • Lubbock police searching for 7-Eleven robbery suspects

    Lubbock police searching for 7-Eleven robbery suspects

    Thursday, November 23 2017 11:01 PM EST2017-11-24 04:01:28 GMT
    Source: Caleb Holder, KCBDSource: Caleb Holder, KCBD

    Lubbock police are searching for two men, armed with shotguns, who robbed a 7-Eleven store at 2608 Ave. Q on Thursday night.

    Lubbock police are searching for two men, armed with shotguns, who robbed a 7-Eleven store at 2608 Ave. Q on Thursday night.

Powered by Frankly