Emergency crews responded to a fire at Red Roof Inn near 66th and I-27 in Lubbock shortly before 11 a.m. Thursday morning.
According to scanner traffic, first responders initially suspected a possible meth lab could be the cause and were attempting to take appropriate precautions.
However, the Lubbock Fire Department discovered the actual cause of the blaze to be a trash can fire, according to Dep. Fire Marshal, Robert Loveless.
Though it seemed excessive for four fire trucks and three ambulances to be called to the scene, Loveless said that is standard procedure for a motel fire. He said there are a lot of occupants to consider and some may have been asleep at the time of the fire. Loveless also stated that they have had to deal with meth labs in hotels in Lubbock starting fires, so they wanted to take all the necessary precautions.
Loveless said the fire broke out in an unoccupied room and no one was injured.
Copyright 2013 KCBD. All rights reserved.