The dangers of magnets for children - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

The dangers of magnets for children

Posted: Updated:

Doctors are calling magnet ingestion by young children a growing problem.

X-rays show what happens inside the body when kids swallow these tiny, powerful magnets found in toys and other household items, the magnets can adhere to one another through loops in the gastro-intestinal tract. This can cause bowel perforations and can be deadly.

Experts suggest pediatricians may want to discuss magnet safety with parents starting at the 18-month well baby check-up.

 

Copyright 2013 KCBD. All rights reserved.

 

Powered by WorldNow

5600 Avenue A
Lubbock, TX. 79404

FCC Public File
publicfile@kcbd.com
806-744-1414
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KCBD. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.