Lubbock runner surprised by $60 charge from event site - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Lubbock runner surprised by $60 charge from event site

Brett Odorizzi was thrilled when he saw The Color Run was coming to Lubbock for the very first time. So about a month ago, he and his buddies signed up for the event. Odorizzi said everything went smoothly until about a few days ago.

"I logged on to my email and I was lucky I caught it because it went to my junk mail," Odorizzi said.

Odorizzi said there was an email saying he has been billed almost $60 dollars for something he said he did not approve

"There was an email from this company called 'Active.' They said my trial had expired, they'd enrolled me in a year of service and $59.95 had been charged to my card. I logged on to my bank account and sure enough, there it was," Odorizzi said.

Odorizzi says he is normally very careful when signing up for events so he does not know how he missed it.

"I Google'd the company and sure enough, found other people that ran into the same trouble as me," he said.

Active company spokesman Brian Enge says the option to accept the charge or to deny it is very clear on the website.

"They've resubmitted their email and said 'yes we accept this trial offer' specifically for the advantage trial offer," Enge said.

Enge also says that after the person accepts the charge they are emailed four times, reminding them of their membership with Active Network.

"Anybody who uses the word scam means they've missed the double opt in and they've missed the four chances that we've told them in a 30 day period," Enge said.

Odorizzi says although it may not be a scam, they sure are sneaky.

"If there's a checkbox there, they did a great job hiding it, because I didn't see it," Odorizzi said.

Odorizzi said he did get his money back and Enge admits people do get confused with this offer, so they are working on trying to become more transparent.

Copyright 2013 KCBD. All rights reserved.

Trump's Cohen comments raise questions about relationship

Thursday, April 26 2018 9:18 AM EDT2018-04-26 13:18:48 GMT
    Thursday, April 26 2018 7:10 PM EDT2018-04-26 23:10:57 GMT
    President Donald Trump says his personal attorney Michael Cohen represents him 'with this crazy Stormy Daniels deal' and that 'from what I see he did absolutely nothing wrong.' (Source: CNN)President Donald Trump says his personal attorney Michael Cohen represents him 'with this crazy Stormy Daniels deal' and that 'from what I see he did absolutely nothing wrong.' (Source: CNN)

President Donald Trump says his personal attorney Michael Cohen represents him "with this crazy Stormy Daniels deal" and that "from what I see he did absolutely nothing wrong."

Amazon raising price of annual Prime membership to $119

Thursday, April 26 2018 5:59 PM EDT2018-04-26 21:59:01 GMT
    Thursday, April 26 2018 7:09 PM EDT2018-04-26 23:09:53 GMT
    Amazon has ventured into other business areas including, shipping and medical care, and now banking. (Source: AMAZON/CNN)Amazon has ventured into other business areas including, shipping and medical care, and now banking. (Source: AMAZON/CNN)

Amazon says it will hike up the price of its Prime membership fee by 20 percent next month.

Suspect in serial killings was obsessed with lawn care

Thursday, April 26 2018 2:39 AM EDT2018-04-26 06:39:08 GMT
    Thursday, April 26 2018 7:09 PM EDT2018-04-26 23:09:25 GMT
    (AP Photo/Rich Pedroncelli). Sacramento County Sheriff Scott Jones, left, talks to reporters about the arrest Joesph James DeAngelo, seen in photo, on suspicion of committing a string of violent crimes in the 1970's and 1980's after a news conference. ...(AP Photo/Rich Pedroncelli). Sacramento County Sheriff Scott Jones, left, talks to reporters about the arrest Joesph James DeAngelo, seen in photo, on suspicion of committing a string of violent crimes in the 1970's and 1980's after a news conference. ...

The suspected Golden State Killer became less prolific but deadlier after losing his job as a police officer.