Provided by Texas Tech Athletics
No. 18 Texas Tech powered past No. 25 Oklahoma State, 6-1, Sunday at the McLeod Tennis Center, extending the Lady Raiders' home winning streak to 17 consecutive matches.
The win also put Texas Tech (14-4, 4-0 Big 12) into a tie for first place with Big 12 Conference rival No. 24 Texas (9-8, 4-0 Big 12) – the only team in the league that the Lady Raiders did not defeat last season.
The day started with the Lady Raiders winning the doubles point for the 17th time in 18 matches this season. But it took on a different look when the match started.
Oklahoma State's Meghan Blevins and Karyn Guttormsen jumped out to a quick lead thanks to a pair of early breaks and rolled past Rashmi Teltumbde and Nikki Sanders, 8-2 ant No. 2. Texas Tech's senior tandem of Caroline Starck and Elizabeth Ullathorne fought off Maria Alvarez and CC Sardinha at No. 3 to win 8-6 and set up a battle at No. 1.
The No. 27 tandem of Kenna Kilgo and Samantha Adams topped Oklahoma State's No. 48 duo of Malika Rose and Kanyapat Narattana, 8-3, giving Texas Tech the hard-fought doubles point.
Ullathorne had easy work with Sardinha, 6-4, 6-4, at No. 3 to start off singles. No. 117 Adams then upset No. 60 Rose, 6-3, 7-5 at No. 1 to give Texas Tech a quick 3-0 lead.
Starck picked up the clinching point with a 1-6, 6-0, 6-3 win over Narattana at No. 5, before OSU picked up its first point of the day. Blevins bested Kilgo, 6-4, 7-6 at No. 2 to cut the Lady Raider lead to 4-1.
Nikki Sanders and Sandra Dynka added three-set wins to close out the match.
Texas Tech travels to Austin to face Texas on Saturday at 2 p.m. at the Penick-Allison Tennis Center in a showdown for first place in the Big 12 Conference.
#18 Texas Tech 6, #25 Oklahoma State 1
Lubbock, Texas (McLeod Tennis Center)
1. #117 Samantha Adams (TT) def. #60 Malika Rose (OSU) 6-3, 7-5
2. Meghan Blevins (OSU) def. Kenna Kilgo (TT) 6-4, 7-6 (14-12)
3. Elizabeth Ullathorne (TT) def. CC Sardinha (OSU) 6-4, 6-4
4. Nikki Sanders (TT) def. Maria Alvarez (OSU) 6-3, 0-6, 6-3
5. Caroline Starck (TT) def. Kanyapat Narattana (OSU) 1-6, 6-0, 6-3
6. Sandra Dynka (TT) def. Karyn Guttormsen (OSU) 4-6, 6-3, 7-6 (7-1)
1. #27 Samantha Adams / Kenna Kilgo (TT) def. #48 Malika Rose / Kanyapat Narattana (OSU) 8-3
2. Meghan Blevins / Karyn Guttormsen (OSU) def. Rashmi Teltumbde / Nikki Sanders (TT) 8-2
3. Caroline Starck / Elizabeth Ullathorne (TT) def. Maria Alvarez / CC Sardinha (OSU) 8-6
#25 Oklahoma State 10-5, 2-3 Big 12
#18 Texas Tech 14-4, 4-0 Big 12
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (3,1,5,2,4,6)