Provided by Texas Tech Athletics
The score truly was not indicative of the match, but No. 15 Baylor left the McLeod Tennis Center with a 6-1 win over No. 38 Texas Tech in the Big 12 opener for both teams.
"That was a tough match," said Tim Siegel. "We had our opportunities, but we have to put that behind us and move on to Oklahoma State."
For the first time in eight matches, Texas Tech lost the doubles point. Baylor's Tony Lupieri and Julian Lenz handled Texas Tech's Raphael Pfister and Hugo Dojas, 8-3 at No. 3 doubles. The Bears' Patric Pradella and Roberto Maytin then topped Jeff Bryan and Felipe Soares, 8-5, at No. 2.
No. 1 doubles was then abandoned with Texas Tech's Vitor Manzini and Gabriel Dias leading 6-3 over Baylor's Mate Zsiga and Diego Galeano. It didn't matter because the Bears had the point in hand.
Dojas then made easy work of Maytin, dispatching the Baylor Bear at No. 6, 6-2, 6-2 in less than an hour to tie the match at 1-1.
No. 80 Lupieri gave the lead back to the Bears with a straight set win over Pfister, 6-2, 6-2. Galeano followed suit with a 7-5, 6-3 win over Francisco Zambon and the Bears had a commanding 3-1 lead with three matches remaining.
Dias battled for Tech, but then fell to No. 71 Len, 6-3, 2-6, 6-2, at No. 2, securing the win for the Bears. Soares extended his match to the third set as well against No. 99 Mate Zsiga, 3-6, 6-3, 6-2, at No. 3.
The match of the day took place at No. 1, where No. 33 Pradella battled Manzin. Pradella took the first set with a late break, 6-4. Manzini answers in mirror-like fashion, 6-4. It sets up a marathon super tiebreaker , where Pradella just edges Manzini, 13-11, for the win.
Texas Tech returns to action on Friday, when the Red Raiders host Oklahoma State at 6 p.m. at the McLeod Tennis Center.
#15 Baylor 6, #38 Texas Tech 1
Lubbock, Texas (McLeod Tennis Center)
1. #33 Patrick Pradella (BU) def. Vitor Manzini (TTU) 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (13-11)
2. #71 Julian Lenz (BU) def. Gabriel Dias (TTU) 6-3, 2-6, 6-2
3. #99 Mate Zsiga (BU) def. Felipe Soares (TTU) 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
4. #80 Tony Lupieri (BU) def. Raphael Pfister (TTU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Diego Galeano (BU) def. Francisco Zambon (TTU) 7-5, 6-3
6. Hugo Dojas (TTU) def. Roberto Maytin (BU) 6-2, 6-2
1. #69 Vitor Manzini/Gabriel Dias (TTU) vs. Mate Zsiga/Diego Galeano (BU) 6-3, unfinished
2. Patrick Pradella/Roberto Maytin (BU) def. Jeff Bryan/Felipe Soares (TTU) 8-5
3. Tony Lupieri/Julian Lenz (BU) def. Raphael Pfister/Hugo Dojas (TTU) 8-3
#15 Baylor 15-4, 1-0 Big 12
#38 Texas Tech 14-7, 0-1 Big 12
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (6,4,5,2,3,1)
88-Degrees / Partly Cloudy / Windy