Devastating fire leaves Lubbock family of 6 without a home - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Devastating fire leaves Lubbock family of 6 without a home

A Lubbock family is picking up the pieces after losing their home to a fire.

The flames broke out just after 7:00 p.m. Wednesday night at their mobile home on East 1st Street near Olive Avenue.

Four children between the ages of 5 and 12 were in the home at the time but were able to get out when one of the oldest children smelled smoke and alerted the others.

"I smelled the smoke, I got up, I went to my brothers' room, I just peaked in my brothers' room and I just saw the fire and I told my brother come here and I told everyone to get out," said Christianna, 11.

Priscilla Cano, the mother of the four children, said they lost pretty much everything they owned.

"This is the only stuff we were able to save," said Cano as she pointed at a truck full of what little they had left.

"Our washer, dryer, some spare tires, a cooler, my daughters bike, basically all we have left," Cano said.

The oldest son, Xzavier, 12, says he is just so thankful that his brothers and sisters are safe.

"We told my little brother and sister to go across the road to stay away from the fire and we kept them there. Then we called 911 and we called our mom and told her to come to the house because it was on fire," he said.

Cano says you can never prepare for such a horrific tragedy and now all they have left is to lean on each other.

"Brand new TV for my son, that is gone. The new bedroom set I bought for my daughters, that is gone. We were buying new furniture for our home, that is gone," she said.

Cano says although her two youngest are just 5 and 6 years old, they know exactly what is going on.

"There was a fire in my brothers' room and I ran so fast with my socks on with no shoes," said Natalie, 5.

"Everywhere I go, I smell something. Then after that, it started a big fire. Then my sister told me to get out of the house," said Ethan, 6.

Although their mobile home is a total loss, Cano says she is just so grateful her children escaped unharmed.

A benefit fund has been set up for the family, as well. You can donate at any Wells Fargo under the name Priscilla Cano.

Copyright 2013 KCBD. All rights reserved.

Dam failing as scope of Puerto Rico's disaster becomes clear

Friday, September 22 2017 4:06 AM EDT2017-09-22 08:06:51 GMT
    Saturday, September 23 2017 1:27 AM EDT2017-09-23 05:27:04 GMT

They eye of Hurricane Maria is nearing the Turks and Caicos early Friday as Puerto Rico tries to recover from the storm's devastation.

Families of missing in Mexico quake still hold out hope

Friday, September 22 2017 1:15 AM EDT2017-09-22 05:15:33 GMT
    Saturday, September 23 2017 1:16 AM EDT2017-09-23 05:16:33 GMT

Survivors are still being pulled from rubble in Mexico City as rescue operations stretch into a fourth day, spurring hope among desperate relatives gathered at the sites of buildings collapsed by a magnitude 7.1 earthquake.

Public shaming likely but GOP wary of new laws after Equifax

Friday, September 22 2017 3:48 AM EDT2017-09-22 07:48:03 GMT
    Saturday, September 23 2017 12:56 AM EDT2017-09-23 04:56:58 GMT
    Prospects are good for a public shaming in the Equifax data breach, but it's unlikely Congress will institute sweeping new regulations after hackers accessed the personal information of an estimated 143 million Americans.