Devastating fire leaves Lubbock family of 6 without a home - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Devastating fire leaves Lubbock family of 6 without a home

A Lubbock family is picking up the pieces after losing their home to a fire.

The flames broke out just after 7:00 p.m. Wednesday night at their mobile home on East 1st Street near Olive Avenue.

Four children between the ages of 5 and 12 were in the home at the time but were able to get out when one of the oldest children smelled smoke and alerted the others.

"I smelled the smoke, I got up, I went to my brothers' room, I just peaked in my brothers' room and I just saw the fire and I told my brother come here and I told everyone to get out," said Christianna, 11.

Priscilla Cano, the mother of the four children, said they lost pretty much everything they owned.

"This is the only stuff we were able to save," said Cano as she pointed at a truck full of what little they had left.

"Our washer, dryer, some spare tires, a cooler, my daughters bike, basically all we have left," Cano said.

The oldest son, Xzavier, 12, says he is just so thankful that his brothers and sisters are safe.

"We told my little brother and sister to go across the road to stay away from the fire and we kept them there. Then we called 911 and we called our mom and told her to come to the house because it was on fire," he said.

Cano says you can never prepare for such a horrific tragedy and now all they have left is to lean on each other.

"Brand new TV for my son, that is gone. The new bedroom set I bought for my daughters, that is gone. We were buying new furniture for our home, that is gone," she said.

Cano says although her two youngest are just 5 and 6 years old, they know exactly what is going on.

"There was a fire in my brothers' room and I ran so fast with my socks on with no shoes," said Natalie, 5.

"Everywhere I go, I smell something. Then after that, it started a big fire. Then my sister told me to get out of the house," said Ethan, 6.

Although their mobile home is a total loss, Cano says she is just so grateful her children escaped unharmed.

A benefit fund has been set up for the family, as well. You can donate at any Wells Fargo under the name Priscilla Cano.

Copyright 2013 KCBD. All rights reserved.

Texas school gunman: 'I'm going to kill you.' Then he fired

Saturday, May 19 2018 11:51 PM EDT2018-05-20 03:51:30 GMT
    Sunday, May 20 2018 8:13 AM EDT2018-05-20 12:13:52 GMT
    (Jennifer Reynolds/The Galveston County Daily News via AP). April Salinas, second from right, her daughters Meah, 13, and Macee, 6, and Jeramiah Kelley read notes left at memorial behind Texas First Bank, Saturday, May 19, 2018 in Santa Fe, Texas. A gu...(Jennifer Reynolds/The Galveston County Daily News via AP). April Salinas, second from right, her daughters Meah, 13, and Macee, 6, and Jeramiah Kelley read notes left at memorial behind Texas First Bank, Saturday, May 19, 2018 in Santa Fe, Texas. A gu...

The mother of one slain student said her daughter may have been targeted because she rejected advances from the suspect, who was an ex-boyfriend of her daughter's best friend.

Cougar kills 1 mountain biker, injures 2nd near Seattle

Sunday, May 20 2018 1:31 AM EDT2018-05-20 05:31:13 GMT
    Sunday, May 20 2018 8:13 AM EDT2018-05-20 12:13:41 GMT
    (Alan Berner /The Seattle Times via AP). Washington State Fish and Wildlife Police confer with an individual from the King County Medical Examiner's and a King County Sheriff's deputy on a remote gravel road above Snoqualmie, WA., following a fatal cou...(Alan Berner /The Seattle Times via AP). Washington State Fish and Wildlife Police confer with an individual from the King County Medical Examiner's and a King County Sheriff's deputy on a remote gravel road above Snoqualmie, WA., following a fatal cou...

Authorities say the cougar believed responsible for the attack has been euthanized.

New Starbucks policy: No purchase needed to sit in cafes

Saturday, May 19 2018 1:10 PM EDT2018-05-19 17:10:57 GMT
    Sunday, May 20 2018 8:12 AM EDT2018-05-20 12:12:44 GMT
    New policy at Starbucks: No purchase needed to sit, use restrooms. (Source: Pixabay)New policy at Starbucks: No purchase needed to sit, use restrooms. (Source: Pixabay)

New policy at Starbucks: No purchase needed to sit, use restrooms.

New policy at Starbucks: No purchase needed to sit, use restrooms.