Tech students robbed at gunpoint; arrest report reveals details - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Tech students robbed at gunpoint; arrest report reveals details

Steven Caldwell, 19 (Source: Lubbock County Detention Center) Steven Caldwell, 19 (Source: Lubbock County Detention Center)
LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) -

An arrest warrant has given us a closer look into what happened the night four men were robbed at gunpoint. Three of the victims were Texas Tech University students.

The incident happened on 30th and Nashville Avenue on April 3rd. Since then, the two suspects have been released from jail.

Steven Caldwell, 19, has been charged with aggravated robbery and Shane Taylor has been charged with theft. The warrant does not list Taylor's age.

The warrant says three Texas Tech students, along with one of their friends who was visiting, were on their way to Whataburger to get something to eat.

Before they could pull out of their driveway, the arrest warrant says two black males approached the truck wearing hoodies, bandanas, ski masks, sunglasses and gloves. The suspects opened the driver and passenger doors and shoved guns to the victims' heads. The victims told police that the suspects began demanding money, electronics and other valuables.

One of the victims lived in the house where the assault took place. One of the suspects ordered him to get valuables from inside his house. The suspect said he didn't want to go into the house because he was afraid of the dog.

The resident's girlfriend was inside the house at the time. The resident told her to hide in his room and call the police. The resident grabbed a shotgun from inside his house and headed back towards the carport.

One of the suspects had one of his friends in a choke hold with a handgun to his head. The resident was worried that his friend might get hurt so he put the shotgun down.

The suspects heard sirens in the distance, got spooked, and ran away with the iPad.

Police found Caldwell walking around in the same area with the iPad on him the next day.

Copyright 2013 KCBD. All rights reserved.

  • Local News on KCBD.comNewsMore>>

  • Judge: President can't block critics on Twitter

    Judge: President can't block critics on Twitter

    Wednesday, May 23 2018 1:43 PM EDT2018-05-23 17:43:15 GMT
    Wednesday, May 23 2018 10:32 PM EDT2018-05-24 02:32:56 GMT
    A federal judge in New York says President Donald Trump cannot block his critics on Twitter without violating the First Amendment. (Source: CNN)A federal judge in New York says President Donald Trump cannot block his critics on Twitter without violating the First Amendment. (Source: CNN)

    A federal judge in New York says President Donald Trump cannot block his critics on Twitter without violating the First Amendment.

    A federal judge in New York says President Donald Trump cannot block his critics on Twitter without violating the First Amendment.

  • NKorea says Pence remarks were 'stupid,' willing to not meet

    NKorea says Pence remarks were 'stupid,' willing to not meet

    Wednesday, May 23 2018 8:51 PM EDT2018-05-24 00:51:44 GMT
    Wednesday, May 23 2018 10:32 PM EDT2018-05-24 02:32:50 GMT
    (AP Photo/Ahn Young-joon). Women protesters stage a rally for peace on the Korea peninsular near U.S. Embassy in Seoul, Wednesday, May 23, 2018. U.S. President Donald Trump labored with South Korea's Moon Jae-in Tuesday to keep the highly anticipated U...(AP Photo/Ahn Young-joon). Women protesters stage a rally for peace on the Korea peninsular near U.S. Embassy in Seoul, Wednesday, May 23, 2018. U.S. President Donald Trump labored with South Korea's Moon Jae-in Tuesday to keep the highly anticipated U...
    A top North Korean official says recent comments by U.S. Vice President Mike Pence were "stupid" and "ignorant" and again warns the country is willing to pull out of a planned summit with Trump.
    A top North Korean official says recent comments by U.S. Vice President Mike Pence were "stupid" and "ignorant" and again warns the country is willing to pull out of a planned summit with Trump.
  • Syria state-run media reports US-led airstrike on army posts

    Syria state-run media reports US-led airstrike on army posts

    Wednesday, May 23 2018 9:11 PM EDT2018-05-24 01:11:43 GMT
    Wednesday, May 23 2018 10:32 PM EDT2018-05-24 02:32:10 GMT
    A Pentagon spokesman said there was "no information" to confirm or deny the reports. (Source: Raycom Media)A Pentagon spokesman said there was "no information" to confirm or deny the reports. (Source: Raycom Media)

    Syrian government-run media outlet is reporting that U.S.-led coalition airstrikes have struck Syrian army positions in eastern Syria near the front lines with the Islamic State group.

    Syrian government-run media outlet is reporting that U.S.-led coalition airstrikes have struck Syrian army positions in eastern Syria near the front lines with the Islamic State group.

Powered by Frankly